• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I have been waiting for the first calamari of the season to show up. Sometimes it's sooner than now, but this year, not so much. As a kid, I lived across the street form the Stonington Holy Ghost Society, which is populated by a large percentage of the Stonington fishing fleet crew members. Every Friday during Lent, they have a benefit fish fry that includes seafood that is impeccably fresh, that comes from the docks just a few steps away.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33939-d6225187-Reviews-Portuguese_Holy_Ghost_Society-Stonington_Connecticut.html

So I knew that if I went to the right place on a Friday in Lent, I would find it, and sure enough:

Calamari.thumb.jpg.e249361b7942515bc27fde4f46247c39.jpg

Cleaned Point Judith squid was $8.99 pp, but "dirty" Stonington squid was $3.99 pp, and since I like to clean it myself, and go for the freshest possible, I went for the good stuff.

5a91624fcebf0_StonongtonCalamari.thumb.jpg.072af9b3c7c89494ec4cff56e10289df.jpg

Once I cleaned and cut it up, I soaked it in buttermilk, with a splash of hot sauce for a few hours.

IMG_2285.thumb.JPG.a93eec82963b1de8de6da2bc56449ea4.JPG

And fried it  up for dinner with some fries. I like to prepare a kimchi tartar sauce that is a simple mixture of finely diced kimchi and mayo.

HC

IMG_2291.thumb.JPG.5fa0d4ec737fa151b6943b647b279bcf.JPGIMG_2294.thumb.JPG.3b56ee80dd56f594907c09065c6077d4.JPG

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I crave it too, but I just can't find a good recipe.

I didn't make this either....my favorite store-bought dressing is Ken's Steakhouse Chunky Blue Cheese so I used that and then added a ton more blue cheese that I had crumbled up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I didn't make this either....my favorite store-bought dressing is Ken's Steakhouse Chunky Blue Cheese so I used that and then added a ton more blue cheese that I had crumbled up.

Thank you, but I'm afraid that it doesn't help me much. I can only get a couple brands down here. One doesn't taste like much of anything and the other one kind of smells like dirty socks.

• Haha 2

@Tropicalsenior If you have Thomas Keller's ad hoc at home cookbook the blue cheese dressing on page 182 is killer good.  I found it here (scroll down, it is at the bottom):  https://www.wnyc.org/story/70613-thomas-kellers-ad-hoc-recipe-for-iceburg-lettuce-slices/.  His Aioli is a basic mayonnaise using garlic oil from confited garlic.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, menuinprogress said:

IMG_20180224_191915663.thumb.jpg.2c3536df8f2e43aa27ed9592bdf26274.jpg

We picked up some nice bay scallops yesterday, so we had them for dinner tonight on a slightly cheesy polenta topped with some garlicky breadcrumbs. Very tasty, and a really nice combination of textures.

Wow, I could take one huge bite out of that!  Looks delicious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well seasoned with grinds of black pepper - Strip loin grilled on top of stove and finished in oven. Made some green peppercorn gravy for dipping. Eaten with stir-fried snap peas, asparagus, and bell pepper and carrot fries.

5a9275279c0e1_SteakauPoivre2620.jpg.b26e4a162613c7ce8376f2984aa4ba10.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8320D183-1AA8-423D-B00C-C1372DD74DD2.thumb.jpeg.5f3a6acc7fb7812bf4b13f8a722eb2f5.jpeg

Breaded pork tenderloin slices with leftover vegetable korma. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, menuinprogress said:

IMG_20180224_191915663.thumb.jpg.2c3536df8f2e43aa27ed9592bdf26274.jpg

We picked up some nice bay scallops yesterday, so we had them for dinner tonight on a slightly cheesy polenta topped with some garlicky breadcrumbs. Very tasty, and a really nice combination of textures.

I picked up some Manx Queenies Scallops yesterday. Later they will be introduced on friendly terms to some button mushrooms and double cream. Queenies are small just like the ones @menuinprogress posted. Always sold with roe on and usually cooked with it. Might have to have a few oysters to start tho' :biggrin: D

• Like 4

Part of dinner, but the best part, if I say so myself. The rest was stuff I've bored you with before.

clams1.thumb.jpg.f90e5e094c99761ffcbe369abb63d3a6.jpg

Linguine with clams with black fermented beans, Shaoxing wine, garlic, shallots, ginger. Sino-Italian,  I guess.

• Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pizza night.

pizza.jpg.49310230ea6e6e90202d0506ed627d77.jpg

Fresh ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano, sliced mushrooms, salami. The salami was less than optimal. The crust was one of the best I've ever made, and I wish I could figure out what I did differently.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Use up the stuff in the fridge last night....

chicken breasts in brown gravy, in-frozen baby peas, mashed potatoes - voila!  Add some sautéed onion and you have a chicken shepherd's pie.

Now I have to start planning for stuff to feed John after two extractions on Tuesday.  Last time I had to do this when he had oral surgery the best pot roast I had ever made went into the blender......:(

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The person sitting at one o'clock seems to have two.

Technically speaking no one is seated there.  Curiouser and curriouser.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou