• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Picked up 2 pkgs of lamb chops - price reduced by 50% - gotta love my Safeway down the street!
Trimmed the meat off the 7 chops, marinated with salt, pepper, and cumin in the fridge for the day.
Heated the cast iron wok to smoking and seared the bones first, added chunks of onion, then the slices of lamb.
Eaten with curry cauliflower and gingery bean sprouts.
I REALLY enjoyed gnawing on the crispy bits on the bones.

IMG_2599.jpg.1cdcff08a2a97738f5d5b5f5ca616740.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Punjabi Dry Curry Chicken - a couple of weeks ago. I THINK it's a recipe from Twosleeves - Urvashi Pitre I have such a pile of new recipes to try...Must get organized! But this was a nice change from the saucy curries we usually eat.

5a8d97866e844_PunjabiDryChickenCurry2174.jpg.5d3a40437ac9b18aa98cb61660a8998a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had broccoli to use up so I made that salad that everyone took to potlucks a few years ago lol.  Broccoli, onion, bacon, shredded sharp cheddar and then the dressing was homemade mayo with some sugar and red wine vinegar.  Pizza to go with.

IMG_4144.JPG.d2471098e050d84b0dbbb63e9621a37a.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG.4b2728872e115728420f0c191c17d63a.JPG

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

This is sesame-hoisin cod with fries cooked in the BSOXL on the air fryer setting as per @mgaretz  The asparagus was a new to us recipe for Asparagus with Gochujang sauce.  I had ketchup with my fries (not pictured, due to some people's sensibilitiesxD).

Edited to add:   I'd inadvertently given credit to @Norm Matthews for the fry cooking method, it was @mgaretz who in fact had perfected the technique.

.  My apologies to both.

20180221_193834.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Changed name from @Norm Mathews to @mgaretz (log)
  • Like 20
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Tonight was a rather simple dinner.  An airline breast cooked on the pizza steel on the grill with a baked potato.  The steel work really well.  The breast was barely 160 and pinkish, juicy, crusty and tasty 

You know that weird phenomenon where you don't hear a word or phrase for years and then suddenly it is everywhere?  I haven't heard or thought of an airline breast in ages and I've heard it/read it at least 6 times in the last 4 days.  I had to explain to Mr. Kim what it meant.  

Dinner tonight - the seemingly never ending “Chinese” Salad:

DSCN8035.JPG.829d07a230ef2ef807aaa0fa73e652e2.JPG

Ham, Gruyere, and Havarti omelets, roasted cauliflower and fried potatoes:

DSCN8036.JPG.db447db7e0a7c9df52ee0426397b4e50.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I haven't heard or thought of an airline breast in ages and I've heard it/read it at least 6 times in the last 4 days.  I had to explain to Mr. Kim what it meant.  

I had to Google it. Never heard the term before.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The last time we had mussels, they were so full of gravel, Deb got sick, and I made a promise to myself that I would never buy wild mussels again. I saw these PEI farmed mussels on sale in a flyer this weekend, and I was all over it. These were great! Herbed garlic olive oil and wine sauce.

HC

IMG_2271.thumb.JPG.82fbeddeb1ea4d1fd3bcd9b76a45e97b.JPGIMG_2274.thumb.JPG.ee1e4c802b6937cd7629af27cee9c6b8.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

We have a pretty deep mussel aquaculture history here. Plump, grit/beard free and reasonably priced. An under-appreciated shellfish  https://www.independent.com/news/2015/apr/02/flexing-muscles-over-mussels/

Not sure if the oil rig thing is still viable but it sure was/is interesting  http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/05/us/offshore-oil-rigs-prove-fertile-farm-for-mussels-on-the-coast.html

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

The last time we had mussels, they were so full of gravel, Deb got sick, and I made a promise to myself that I would never buy wild mussels again. I saw these PEI farmed mussels on sale in a flyer this weekend, and I was all over it. These were great! Herbed garlic olive oil and wine sauce.

HC

IMG_2271.thumb.JPG.82fbeddeb1ea4d1fd3bcd9b76a45e97b.JPGIMG_2274.thumb.JPG.ee1e4c802b6937cd7629af27cee9c6b8.JPG

Ive had a similar bad experience with mussels. Don't trust them   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

We have a pretty deep mussel aquaculture history here. Plump, grit/beard free and reasonably priced. An under-appreciated shellfish  https://www.independent.com/news/2015/apr/02/flexing-muscles-over-mussels/

Not syre if the oi rig thing is stil viable but it sure was/is interesting  http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/05/us/offshore-oil-rigs-prove-fertile-farm-for-mussels-on-the-coast.html

It really does make a huge difference. I had a neighbor who would bring back wild mussels from Maine, that were great, but the cheap ones in the market are loaded with gravel. I am a huge fan of the farmed ones.

HC

1 hour ago, heidih said:

beard free

Heidi, I've always heard that the "beard" is a natural part of the mussel and should not be cleaned off until immediately prior to cooking in order to maintain the best quality. Is this incorrect? 

I love the green lip mussels. I can only find them frozen here, at the little fish monger, but they are really good. Come to think of it, they are beard free, but they're no longer alive and have been preserved by freezing.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Picked up some Za'atar for a recipe last year and it's been sitting on the shelf for too long!

Marinated some chicken thighs in a mixture of Za'atar, lemon juice and zest, garlic, and OV,  and seared them on the cast iron grill - finished in the oven.
Eaten with Brussel Sprouts with pecans, shallots, and Dijon mustard; and carrot fries.

5a8e5df6b089b_ZaatarChickenBrusselSprouts2602.jpg.55ac8fdfe7fd457fa86eb4b81da5ae54.jpg

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

25 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Heidi, I've always heard that the "beard" is a natural part of the mussel and should not be cleaned off until immediately prior to cooking in order to maintain the best quality. Is this incorrect? 

I love the green lip mussels. I can only find them frozen here, at the little fish monger, but they are really good. Come to think of it, they are beard free, but they're no longer alive and have been preserved by freezing.

Quoting the very reliable Melissa Clark  "Len Currie, the general manager of Confederacy Cove Mussel Company, explained that farmed mussels are routinely cleaned and "debyssed" before being scooped into their plastic net bags. But doesn't that compromise their shelf life?" His response was  "It does but only by a few hours or maybe a day. You can get a shelf life of ten days or more if you handle them carefully"..Quoting from the very excellent In the Kitchen With a Good Appetite

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

Forgive the insult to anyone's food culture or ethnicity:

Dinner02222018.png

Lobio, Georgian beans, served with broccoli rabe.  Anyhow it worked.  Bread not shown.  Unfortunately I finished neither the lobio nor the broccoli rabe.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Breast of chicken with 'drum' part of the wing still attached.  Sometimes it is scraped down to make it more "fancy". :D

Ah, okay. I know that as a "supreme."

(Pronounced the French way, not the Diana Ross way)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning