• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Last night with pizza night. With five kinds of cheese: asiago, Romano, Parmesan, Gorgonzola and mozzarella. Salami, mushrooms, and anchovies. Served it with a green salad and faux garlic bread to use up my faux ‘San Francisco sourdough bread’ from the local supermarket.

20180217_181533(1).thumb.jpg.81cdcf24d696b79fc0c1df460eaa5755.jpg

20180217_184540(1).thumb.jpg.246374fe95b058869f7f6403458f44da.jpg

20180217_184831(1).thumb.jpg.e84d96f87de0c92eb812dbb5e9e9a57a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Hey we have the same stove!  I hate the range, I think it cooks way too hot.  I have to use diffusers most of the time.  Do you have the same issue?  The oven and the broiler are nice though.  I'm doing a kitchen renovation and swapping this stove out for a dual fuel range.  I'm keeping it though--I have two kitchens so am moving this one over to the kitchen I don't use as often, to replace an older stove.  I mostly use the oven and broiler in that kitchen, not the range, so it will function nicely.

Last night, black sea bass with a tomato-saffron sauce and fennel confit and a seared scallop, and toasted fregeola.

I hate all things Frigidaire. The stove probably the least of our appliances. We bought our house new about five years ago. Our builder requires Frigidaire appliances in all of their construction. We upgraded to the Gallery line. The dishwasher died and leaked water all over the carpet in the adjacent room, we replaced it with a Whirlpool. The light socket in the microwave disintegrated the first time I changed a bulb. They replaced the refrigerator due to ongoing issues with the ice maker. The ice maker in the new fridge does not work either. I gave up and we're just making ice in trays.

We had an element go out in the stove the first week we lived here.   The oven part works fine. I don't think it cooks too hot, but I'm no fan of glass cooktops. I much prefer gas, but there is no gas in the neighborhood. My theory is Kentucky coal had something to do with that.  

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

I hate all things Frigidaire. The stove probably the least of our appliances. We bought our house new about five years ago. Our builder requires Frigidaire appliances in all of their construction. We upgraded to the Gallery line. The dishwasher died and leaked water all over the carpet in the adjacent room, we replaced it with a Whirlpool. The light socket in the microwave disintegrated the first time I changed a bulb. They replaced the refrigerator due to ongoing issues with the ice maker. The ice maker in the new fridge does not work either. I gave up and we're just making ice in trays.

We had an element go out in the stove the first week we lived here.   The oven part works fine. I don't think it cooks too hot, but I'm no fan of glass cooktops. I much prefer gas, but there is no gas in the neighborhood. My theory is Kentucky coal had something to do with that.  

Our GE profile fridge is just a POS too. Ice maker died after a year. Replaced five times and we gave up. Ice trays now.  Control screen dark, but controls still work but I have to guess at temp.  Defrost clogged and soaked floor. Junk

C8B8A4F0-2452-4CA8-B824-395F1B320847.thumb.jpeg.3cb39dbe5c126721c5ce7ae68f7d14f1.jpeg

Grilled chicken paillards with a commercial pineapple salsa. Broccoli was cooked in the Thermomix. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie suggested dinner tonight.  We had Chicken wings Bulgogi.  This is not the sticky wings I have made recently but an older recipe from his mom.

Those wings look amazing!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Another 7 from Popeye's, with apple pie. Hard to stay away.

Be careful... Popeye's is addictive!!!  There is one 5 blocks from my apartment, and a short way away from where I work...  I have to make sure to stay away because once I get started....  I think what makes Popeye's so much better than the rest is the fact that they fry in lard...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chefmd said:

U-10 scallops on roasted sweet potato with brown butter and lime juice pan sauce.  

IMG_0481.thumb.JPG.8d83ca223202cec44ea016099b4ccfbb.JPG

IMG_0482.thumb.JPG.a880c3ebed5253291ca1227acd6fac03.JPG

Oooohhh. I LIKE that. And it doesn't look like it'd be too horribly difficult to replicate. Going back to Aldi to score me another bag or two of scallops...

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Be careful... Popeye's is addictive!!!  There is one 5 blocks from my apartment, and a short way away from where I work...  I have to make sure to stay away because once I get started....  I think what makes Popeye's so much better than the rest is the fact that they fry in lard...

Good to know.  We have one here but it's a 40minute drive from my house.

I see the ads on TV all the time.  Now I will make it a point to go there when I have to be in that area.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Keep in mind that some branches are better than others...  just about all of them are better than KFC!

We went once - as my late FIL used to say, "two visits in one".  We had a dreadful experience.  

Edited by ElsieD
Changed TIL to FIL (log)
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Darn, I can't do that here. The last time that I priced them here they were about $3 a scallop.

Reminds me of the $3 per shrimp I used to be able to buy from amazon.  Expensive, but wow were they good.  I had always wanted to try the scallops.  Sadly the service was discontinued first.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

No worries, I spaced one night between visits. Didn't know about the lard- must be why that chicken is so damn tasty. The biscuits, too. And I was marveling at that apple pie while I was eating it in the parking lot, staring at it thinking how amazing it is they can sell something like that for 1 buck!

• Like 2

Two recent dinners:

Last night was salmon, cooked SV and then basted with maple/bourbon, served with mashed peas and salad:

salmon-mashed-peas.jpg.7077559a2419c2efa2b869c6002c31fb.jpg

Tonight was shrimp with snap peas sauteed in EVO, garlic and cream sherry, tossed with spaghetti:

shrimp-pasta.jpg.a0d75296e15e3646c943f5a8d9579739.jpg

Yesterday I also made a rare round eye roast, chilled, and then today I sliced it deli-thin with my new toy (a Chef's Choice 615 electric slicer).  No pics but it came out great.  Cooked it at 480F in the BSOA on regular roast function for 20 minutes then dropped the temp to 225F until the internal temp was 121F.  Let it rest and it rose to 124F before starting to drop.

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mm84321 said:

No worries, I spaced one night between visits. Didn't know about the lard- must be why that chicken is so damn tasty. The biscuits, too. And I was marveling at that apple pie while I was eating it in the parking lot, staring at it thinking how amazing it is they can sell something like that for 1 buck!

Yep... I once saw an interview with Popeyey's CEO when the NYC transfat ban went into effect. The interviewer asked how Popeye's was going to have to change its recipes and how they'd be impacted by the new laws (KFC had major problems dealing with it as they used to use some kind of shortening), but the CEO said that they wouldn't have to change a thing since they always fry in lard.

And yes, I've always thought their biscuits were much better than KFC's - KFC's biscuit is like a giant cotton ball by comparison.

• Like 2

@ElsieD    Whenever you want a recipe of mine, just click on the blogspot at the bottom of my post. This one is from a couple of Koreans and is for two differnnt meats so I hope it snt  too convusinig.
BULGOGI FOR BEEF   OR CHICKEN WINGS notes from Jung Ja, My sons mother. i deleted most of the part for beef.

1/4 cup sesame seeds toasted
2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
3/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon garlic minced
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Notes 1 T. pineapple juice. Grind onions with soy sauce. Add a couple packs mushrooms. use 1 T soy sauce & 1 T. water. use hot sauce for chicken, not beef.  Use meat cut for Shabu shabby because it is thin and tender so you don’t have to marinate tougher meat over night.  Blissfully wed also adds Caro syrup (1T) and 1/4 C. coca cola. Sesame seeds.
     MIx cornstarch and water; dissolve brown  sugar in water.  Add all other ingredients and simmer in pan briefly to thicken slightly.  Store, refrigerated in covered glass container until ready to use.

Cut beef into very thin slices or cut wings into sections.  Pour sauce over meat and mix until well coated.  Let stand 10-15 minutes. sauté, cook in wok or grill until done but not browned.

Bake chicken wings @ 350º 45- 60 minutes.  Cover with foil if they begin to brown too much.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last night was sister-made lasagna, yeast rolls and Caesar salad at her home. My brother's son and his wife, brother's daughter and two of my nieces who are my sister's daughters were there as well. The house was full of critters too. A most enjoyable night with cats to pet, lots to catch up on with the relatives and a great dinner. :) I almost started crying when after I had to go to the bathroom, which is up one stair from the kitchen and dining room on a split level, I was relegated to the living room to eat, and I thought everyone else was going to eat in the dining room. In just a minute though, everyone else started migrating to the living room and my sister shared a seat at a computer desk with me. Yah! It was so good to see everyone and enjoy time with them and good eats. Really pulled up my mood.

Tonight I made oven BBQ chicken in the CSO. Sometimes I just crave Kraft original BBQ sauce, and it hit the spot. Romaine and tomato salad with vinaigrette, Mahatma yellow rice from a mix and store bought Pane di Casa from the freezer spread with butter rounded out the meal. 

I have all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies and other comestibles and necessaries after my sweet nephew took me grocery shopping today. That is no small task with my wheelchair and the stairs getting out of the house. He is my hero.

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

Last night, dinner with an old friend and her mother.

We went to a restaurant I'd never been in before. A hotpot restaurant with a difference. In fact, we needed the wait staff to explain the "concept".

We ordered what would have seemed to be the normal stuff for a hotpot, but then it went a bit strange. The waitress arrived with a pan and a lot of ingredients, some we had specifically ordered; some which come no matter what you order. She arranged these in layers into the dry pot.

20180219_132412.thumb.jpg.bca06f548940fe985f5c5d904f793c61.jpg

First she placed a layer of mixed vegetables - carrot, garlic, leek, onion, daikon radish - on the bottom. (This is the standard base.)  On top of that she placed the stuff we had ordered. Fish slices, beef, de-boned ducks' feet. Then she produced a bowl of dark brown paste and started beating the daylights out of it, like some dominatrix on steroids. I didn't know whether to get excited, run or both. Finally she slathered this thoroughly disciplined paste all over the top of the other stuff, turned on the induction heater set into the table and told us to wait ten minutes (or we'd be next for whipping.) We did ask what the paste was, but she sternly informed us it was a state secret. (Some sort of soy bean paste with some something)

My friend and her mother sipped rose petal tea as we waited. I, more sensibly had a beer. Before the ten minutes were up, Ms Whiplash came back and added the shrimp we had ordered, reminded us to wait and left. I was watching my watch. Bang on time she came back and gave us permission to eat (but to mind our table manners or else!)

We were a bit confused that there was no broth in the pot, as is usual with hot pots, all the more so when this arrived.

20180219_132138.thumb.jpg.3ba52c6d1590fcf8ac22e37babbb2f29.jpg

Ms Whiplash's colleague, Sister Stern  passed our table, so we asked about that. "When you eat the stuff in the pan, I'll bring you some broth, then you can eat your greenery!"

Yes ma'am.

It was utterly delicious. In the ten minutes we had we had waited,  the brown paste had melted into a thick sauce coating every mouthful.

20180219_134021.thumb.jpg.11a22cde74c7299b55c959cdc88608cb.jpg

As promised, either Ms. Whiplash or Sister Stern (by this point I couldn't tell them apart) came back and filled our pan with a broth, so we then cooked our greenery.

At some point, my friend topped up my beer with the rose tea. I didn't notice her doing so, but was surprised to find my glass hot when I went for my next sip. Nothing to do but get another bottle.

A lovely meal. I'll go back. And the wait staff were friendly and helpful, really

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto