• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

13 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

'I'm never turning my oven on again because I live in one'. 

Agree.  It's been a bit tough these last few days working.  I'm lucky I have AC in the kitchen but have preferred to BBQ most of the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mm84321 said:

What I've had of the regular menu is pretty tasty: chicken chalupa, crunchwrap supreme, and the favorite of my teenage years was the gordita crunch. Last night was my first time at a Taco Bell in about a year.

I don't think I've ever seen one in NYC, but seeking one out seems to me an optimally good use of your time.

In fact, years ago, my friend and I drove around in New Jersey/New York area for about 3 hours looking for a Taco Bell. We never did find one.

Theres one in Union Square 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mm84321 said:

I don't think I've ever seen one in NYC, but seeking one out seems to me an optimally good use of your time.

In fact, years ago, my friend and I drove around in New Jersey/New York area for about 3 hours looking for a Taco Bell. We never did find one.

There's one out here in Ledgewood NJ and now we have a Popeye's in Dover NJ.    When do you want to meet up ?

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made Shrimp Jambalaya for dinner tonight. I was very briefly married a second time and #2 made Jambalaya and I disliked it so much I never even considered making it myself but this recipe from Fine Cooking looked good.  It said to use long grain rice and I used medium grain rice which makes it clump together and not be fluffy like it should.  I had my reasons though. First, I have several pounds of medium grain and it is all we ever use and I didn't want to get some for one recipe until I had tried it this way first. Second, #2 used long grain rice and even though I probably hated it because of her recipe and it wasn't the fault of the rice, I still used medium grain. Third, Charlies' Korean side of the family does not like long grain rice in anything and I was afraid Charlie might not like it either but apparently his tastes are more catholic than I thought.

20180214_190705.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

9DE86474-4011-454C-A293-DB062D2F9039.thumb.jpeg.21f04c98658a466d474a445b98c3b04a.jpeg

Valentine’s Day Dinner ~

Grill Seared Sous Vide Beef Ribeye with Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes and Lemon-Dill Green Beans

Oh my goodness!  Look at those grill marks!  Yum,yum.

chocolates for dessert?

• Like 3

Attempted Taco night with cheese shells. Probably won't try this again on a school night/after work. Testing the structural integrity of four different cheese blends whilst supervising the learning of the letter Y was too much effort for too little reward! And thats coming from someone whose last meal would involve melted cheese 6 ways. (actually that fact might be what causes the meal to be my last). 

20180215_180351.thumb.jpg.529225d60b658dcabd6417d74f668c41.jpg

20180215_190950.thumb.jpg.9014d3d0a4225bd26c5c9007388af561.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

New Year's Eve. Chinese New Year, that is. Tomorrow begins the year of the Dog. Today nearly all shops were closed by noon, if they bothered to open at all. The markets had disappeared by 10 am. A few shops will open on Monday; most not until next Thursday.  Tomorrow will be a total blackout. So, I'll be living out of the freezer for a few days.

Tonight, I dug out two fillets of a red drum which I filleted a few days ago. Pan fried them.  With chips and a simple salad of baby bok choy, tomatoes and Chinese chives.

fish.thumb.jpg.d689ca5f8a605be97448e0714ce9c44b.jpg

I'll survive.

• Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Theres one in Union Square 

Noted. Next time I walk through the square, the bell will ring!

15 hours ago, suzilightning said:

There's one out here in Ledgewood NJ and now we have a Popeye's in Dover NJ.    When do you want to meet up ?

We also just received a Popeye near where I live in Connecticut, which I mean to try very soon. I haven't been to New Jersey in maybe 5 years, and, since I am without a car, could only meet you in NYC, which I would enjoy. I love walking through that city.

Two recent meals.  The first was reheated meatloaf (not shown) but for sides I tried one new thing and revisited an old one I haven't had in years.  First was roasted cabbage a la Serious Eats (from their Apple TV app).  Very good and simple to do.  The second was roti-paratha, which I first had many years ago on a trip to Singapore.  This was from frozen I found while browsing through the local Indian grocery.  I have seen it before (and made it), but again that was many years ago and they came in a huge package.  This was a pack of 5 so I snapped it up.  Yummy yummy.

roasted-cabbage.jpg.db066f560c59cac0e0dd412e2a687686.jpg

roti.jpg.44e91b436cba08a3e943e45d49c4510e.jpg

Finally, meatloaf casserole served with snap peas.

meatloaf-cass-4.jpg.9fcfa5199806c311acb0f346c7db31b1.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

@mgaretzNice roti prata... one of these days, I'm going to try my hand at making it...  probably using this recipe:

http://ieatishootipost.sg/how-to-make-roti-prata-aka-roti-canai-everything-you-need-to-know/

Thanks and thanks for the link.  I think I will stick with store bought for now!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

No problem... the only reason I was thinking about making my own was to make it healthier... many store bought prata are made with some kind of trans fat... this recipe uses oil - so you can use a mild olive oil or grapeseed oil and, theoretically, have a "healthy" prata, if such a thing could ever exist....