• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yes, I de-stemmed them.  Probably didn't have to....but I did.

Here's a pic of the ingredients :)

IMG_4108.JPG.35ea2d9cdcaf62aded0250bc01ef8cf2.JPG

I don't use pork leg, though, just the belly xD

Looks like the same ingredients except yours has lemongrass and mine has keffir lime leaves.  Should be okay to use.

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

No, but I just googled and it's definitely something I would LOVE.  Can't wait to see yours and i'll add coconut milk to my list for next time.

Someone who used to be a member recommended this to me click.  I mention it only for those who would like to try laksa but don’t want to go to the trouble of making their own.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Someone who used to be a member recommended this to me click.  I mention it only for those who would like to try laksa but don’t want to go to the trouble of making their own.  

I can wholeheartedly second that - it's an excellent product with a very balanced taste; not too strong on the belacan (which might be tricky for the first time consumer) nor too spicy. Especially if you have never had Laksa before it helps to create a reference to what could/should taste like ...

• Like 1

Closing out day four of 'I'm never turning my oven on again because I live in one'. 

Spatched Tiny Chicken on the Bbq with Zucs. 

Yes I burned the everloving sssh out of it. I put it on a way too hot plate, left my tongs inside and by the time I came back.... Wait. Wait a minute. Let me just revise my Dish Name. 

Blackened Chicken and Zucchini ^_^

I'm learning. 

20180214_183902.thumb.jpg.8a3a4180baeb617f96fb3e119b181b50.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I burned the everloving sssh out of it.

That isn't burnt. It is subtly and artistically charred to bring carboniferous notes to the depth and flavour of the perfectly cooked gustatory experience.

Well, that's what I usually tell the few friends I still have!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

That isn't burnt. It is subtly and artistically charred to bring carboniferous notes to the depth and flavour of the perfectly cooked gustatory experience.

Well, that's what I usually tell the few friends I still have!

The joke among my classmates and I at culinary school was that such dishes are "deeply caramelized." 

If it makes you feel better, my nickname for a while was "Smoky" for the painfully obvious reason. It could have been worse: One of my classmates was "Stitch" for his uncanny ability to get a pinkie finger underneath the blade of his knife on a regular basis. We joked that it was from taking tea too often with his granny (ie, raised pinkie finger). He did eventually stop cutting himself, but that didn't stop the teasing. We told him it was only because his finger was now too short to reach the blade. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Given that my day-time job is devising large capital projects, it is surprising how much I suck at "small" projects like Valentines dinner ...

I was late. I did not preorder the fancy seafood I was intending to cook. I didn't put the special off-dry Riesling into the fridge. 

"Luckily" my in-laws arrived yesterday from Catalunya, so there was a feast with selected Catalan cold cuts, cheeses and excellent red wine (from my cellar), even without me. All I could do was preparing two "Old Fashioneds", heavy on the orange bitters and have a good talk with my special one ...

And because I was starving (after the first OF) and there was no bread left I made "emergency MaPo DoFu" by blending a cured sausage with ginger, garlic and Sichuan pepper, frying it up and making up a sauce from Toban Jiang and pork stock. Worked like a charm (and points taken for next year), as did the talk.

Happy Valentines Day everyone :wink:

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, mm84321 said:

The nacho fries at Taco bell seemed so much better on TV.

That is hilarious.  Two days ago we were in the big city and I told my husband about them--he is NOT a fast food kind of guy.  Anyway, yesterday he had to run back in to town and he stopped and got some of them.  I don't think he was super thrilled.

I was pretty disappointed. The commercial made them appear much larger than they were. They are also, in fact, not a lovely, bright orange color as portrayed, but an insipid sort of blend of jaundice yellow and bio-hazard green. The taste was not nacho-ie, but rather like some french fries that got a sprinkle of McCormick's chili seasoning that has been sitting opened in your cupboard since the late '80s; additionally, spiked with some sort of sweetening agent, that just further obscures whatever these atrocities were meant to be. They are served with a warm cheese sauce, that I will say was not altogether unpleasant.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, ElsieD said:

What makes a sandwich a "grinder"?

It is a local term for a type of sandwich which were ubiquitous in the few small towns in Connecticut where I grew up. In 7th grade, I waited for the school bus outside of Moonie's grinder shop and on cold mornings Mrs. Moonie would let us wait inside. I would watch her make salami grinders (AKA "regular grinders" as opposed to ham or meatball or turkey). The process went like this: She would take a head of iceberg lettuce, deftly bang it, stem side down, on the counter and remove the plug like core. She would then put it on the meat slicer and finely slice it into a bowl, to which she added a good amount of salt and pepper and  glug of olive oil. This was all mixed together with a fork. She would cut several foot long rolls, lengthwise  and open them up like books and line them up, cut side up, on the counter. Olive oil was lightly drizzled on each cut side of the rolls. Half moon slices of provolone cheese went down the right hand side of each roll, topped by half moon slices of tomato. Similar slices of cooked salami covered the other side of each roll. Then, big handfuls of the lettuce mixture went down the center of each sandwich, followed by additional salt and pepper and crushed red pepper on a few. A bread knife held the lettuce mixture in place while the roll was folded closed. One by one, each sandwich was cut in half and tightly wrapped in butcher paper and taped shut. A black crayon put a mark one each to let her know what it was. These were for her "regulars" who would pull up to the shop and run in to grab their lunch. She would make most of the others to order while the customer waited during the day. I watched that process thousands of times, as a 7th grader, knowing full well that some day, I would make the magic happen myself.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

33 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

The nacho fries at Taco bell seemed so much better on TV.

My wife and I keep saying that we want to try a Doritos-locos taco...  I haven't had TB in like 12 years - but I remember it being tasty (if completely unhealthy) and cheap!  Too bad there are so few in NYC...  I have to go on the hunt for one...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

My wife and I keep saying that we want to try a Doritos-locos taco...  I haven't had TB in like 12 years - but I remember it being tasty (if completely unhealthy) and cheap!  Too bad there are so few in NYC...  I have to go on the hunt for one...

What I've had of the regular menu is pretty tasty: chicken chalupa, crunchwrap supreme, and the favorite of my teenage years was the gordita crunch. Last night was my first time at a Taco Bell in about a year.

I don't think I've ever seen one in NYC, but seeking one out seems to me an optimally good use of your time.

In fact, years ago, my friend and I drove around in New Jersey/New York area for about 3 hours looking for a Taco Bell. We never did find one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mm84321 said:

What I've had of the regular menu is pretty tasty: chicken chalupa, crunchwrap supreme, and the favorite of my teenage years was the gordita crunch. Last night was my first time at a Taco Bell in about a year.

I don't think I've ever seen one in NYC, but seeking one out seems to me an optimally good use of your time.

In fact, years ago, my friend and I drove around in New Jersey/New York area for about 3 hours looking for a Taco Bell. We never did find one.

Sounds to me like a 'munchies mission' ;)

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I have to go on the hunt for one...

Don't bother. Taco Bell today is a pale shadow of what it used to be.  Now days, they're sticking red corn chips in everything and calling them crunch somethings. The meat, if you can find it, tastes like wet saw dust. If you want real Taco Bell, you have to look on the internet for the Taco Bell copycat recipes and make your own. The only thing they really have going for them is their photographer.

• Haha 2