• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

no pictures, because I got lazy.

I made a rip off of a dish we had at Eleven Madison Park... I cut Asian Pear into rounds the size of a scallop, and pickled them in lime juice with some hot green chiles.

Then I cut scallops into thin round slices about the same size.

a small dab of crashed Uni on the plate, a layer of the pear, with a layer of the scallop on top.

tiny bit of lime juice and a coriander leaf.

that was my starter.

then, seared head-on shrimp in a roasted tomatillo chipotle sauce; over "Israeli" couscous.

Lychee, Mezcal Margaritas

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Last nights dinner... hesitated on putting this up, it is sure to cause controversy from both pizza lovers and nutritionists alike but hey - It was dinner. 

It was Friday and there were pizza cravings, someone has forsworn all bready deliciousness, but had heard of something called  "Fathead Pizza" (bear with me folks, I know we all have our own opinions on each diet that comes and goes -I'm just out here being a supportive wifelet). So I gave it a whirl, and this sceptic was pleasantly surprised - I mean its no pizza, but it was enough. (Probably helps that my favourite / only pizza topping of choice is cheese :D

Mix almond meal, cream cheese and mozzarella and melt. 

20180210_122930.thumb.jpg.110da0cdbec0d513dbd365ffa113e145.jpg

And herbs and incorporate an egg.

20180210_124013.thumb.jpg.1e5240f1e927887ac47c4285a68e50c6.jpg

Roll out - obviously its rectangular because round is for Real pizza and not because I'm shi... not great at rolling things out.

20180210_124308.thumb.jpg.d944877b32a03b0d5eab550188ae852a.jpg

Prebaked 

20180210_132106.thumb.jpg.3b42d0a667f33585e136b9e45407371e.jpg

Topped and done. (Turkey, Jalapenos, Mushroom, Red capsicum, Onion).  I tried a bit of the crust. And I have been trying to think of what it reminds me of all day. It has the flavour profile of cheap cheese straws I think!  That's not necessarily a bad thing - to me.  

20180210_150400.thumb.jpg.e8b74a912519daed8e6dfb7b1b591847.jpg

Anyway. Not to everyone taste but a fun experiment for me - Also no marmite was harmed in the making of this pizza, it just sat there to remind me yeast was a thing. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 5

I found a bunch of shrimp in the freezer that were not on my radar and decided to use them all in the same dish. I tend to buy them by the pound, but seldom use a pound for dinner. Shrimp fra diavolo was put on the menu,  spiked with a heavy portion of bamba calabrese, and a fresh batch of garlic bread.

HC

IMG_2132.thumb.JPG.a79da3de8c3baff5d94ee121462d1bd5.JPGIMG_2133.thumb.JPG.894dcb776d124d391f945925b005c78d.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

With my wife out for a concert and my little one already asleep it's dinner for one today ... And that means the opportunity to eat as spicy and strongly flavoured as I want :D

So, without hesitation I made Laksa, creamy & fishy, with shrimp and squid, roasted garlic and (unconventionally) Onsen tamago. And a bottle of Riesling because... well, because I wanted :$

IMG_0469.JPG

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

20180210_210146.thumb.jpg.1df30c9ddb9adfcd3eb69f3ede7a3c4a.jpg

Blurred photo on account of steam still rising (that's my excuse, anyway).

Linguine with pork, cherry tomatoes, shiitake, garlic (lots), chilli, red wine, and spinach. Downed with the rest of the bottle of wine. (Sangiovese).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Last nights dinner... hesitated on putting this up, it is sure to cause controversy from both pizza lovers and nutritionists alike but hey - It was dinner. 

It was Friday and there were pizza cravings, someone has forsworn all bready deliciousness, but had heard of something called  "Fathead Pizza" (bear with me folks, I know we all have our own opinions on each diet that comes and goes -I'm just out here being a supportive wifelet). So I gave it a whirl, and this sceptic was pleasantly surprised - I mean its no pizza, but it was enough. (Probably helps that my favourite / only pizza topping of choice is cheese :D

Mix almond meal, cream cheese and mozzarella and melt. 

20180210_122930.thumb.jpg.110da0cdbec0d513dbd365ffa113e145.jpg

And herbs and incorporate an egg.

20180210_124013.thumb.jpg.1e5240f1e927887ac47c4285a68e50c6.jpg

Roll out - obviously its rectangular because round is for Real pizza and not because I'm shi... not great at rolling things out.

20180210_124308.thumb.jpg.d944877b32a03b0d5eab550188ae852a.jpg

Prebaked 

20180210_132106.thumb.jpg.3b42d0a667f33585e136b9e45407371e.jpg

Topped and done. (Turkey, Jalapenos, Mushroom, Red capsicum, Onion).  I tried a bit of the crust. And I have been trying to think of what it reminds me of all day. It has the flavour profile of cheap cheese straws I think!  That's not necessarily a bad thing - to me.  

20180210_150400.thumb.jpg.e8b74a912519daed8e6dfb7b1b591847.jpg

Anyway. Not to everyone taste but a fun experiment for me - Also no marmite was harmed in the making of this pizza, it just sat there to remind me yeast was a thing. 

I've read about these crusts. How'd it do with the toppings? I've contemplated trying one, as my daughter has celiac disease, and regular GF pizza dough leaves, well, something to be desired.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

that means the opportunity to eat as spicy and strongly flavoured as I want :D

Unfortunately for me, my housemate is allergic to every type of fresh pepper, garlic, onions, scallions, leeks, in fact, everything in that family. So like you, when he is out for the night I go all out and indulge my flavor starved taste buds. He always laughs when it comes in and takes a big whiff. Now when he's going to be gone for the evening, he stops and buys me a big onion, a head of garlic and some peppers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been trying for a couple of weeks to make an Arby's type sandwich out of SV'd venison roast.    These were pretty good.  Edible at least :) .  

Found a recipe for copy-cat Arby's sauce...also made a cheese sauce.  And, I had to have Arby's type fries.  I know their's are curly fries, which makes them taste even better but my spiralizer doesn't make the right size--they are way to "skinny".  Anyway, I figured regular cut fries would work just as well.  

You make a batter:

1 1/2 cups flour

5 TBS paprika

2 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp onion powder

1 1/2 tsp cayenne powder

1 tsp black pepper

2 cups water

Dip the tater's in there and let them sit on a rack to let the extra batter drip off.  Then fry in 375F oil for about 5 mins . or so.

IMG_4070.JPG.060ba00be66f2692e863d34370906ca8.JPG

IMG_4069.jpg.e113a3bc1b6173a4afc9199eec48b099.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg.b87f3995d55f8b7a45edeb6ef759637f.jpg

I could have eaten a lot more fries.  Good stuff.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've read about these crusts. How'd it do with the toppings? I've contemplated trying one, as my daughter has celiac disease, and regular GF pizza dough leaves, well, something to be desired.

I am a big proponent of the paleo/very low carb approach. However, after trying most of the combinations out there for faux pizza crust I have to say that cauliflower pizza beats them all ... for calorie count (yes, I count them) and structure. Flavour you need to align with yourself :wink:

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Usually I grill rack of lamb but this one was roasted in the CSO.  

Looks perfect!

Do give us more details. :)

Time/Temperature/Function. Please. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Looks perfect!

Do give us more details. :)

Time/Temperature/Function. Please. 

Anna, I presalted the rack on Wednesday, and roasted Friday night. 

Seasoned with pepper and seared in the cast iron skillet.  Once seared, I brushed with a little dijon

and rubbed with fresh rosemary and garlic.   And into the CSO at 450°F on the Steam bake.  12 minutes.

Took it out at 120°F and let it rest for less than 10 minutes , while the vegetables finished cooking.

The potato wedges were also roasted in the CSO.  They were cooked first, in 20 minutes, same setting as above

and then left on top of the steam oven to stay hot while the lamb cooked.     I put them back into the oven for

two minutes after the lamb came out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much, @Ann_T.  I am adding all your data to my notes on using the Cuisinart steam oven.  Might be a while before I spring for a rack of lamb but at least I’ll know when I do I can cook it using the CSO. Mine just does not seem to get as much use as it probably should. I am habituated to using the Breville Smart Oven

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Was craving meatloaf and decided to try something I had seen on The Kitchen...Sunny Anderson's meat and potatoes bundt loaf.  I have a half sized bundt pan so halved the recipe and was really surprised - IT WORKED!!!  The meatloaf came out fine and the potato "topping" was crispy and crunchy - kinda reminds me of the crispy bits from a broiled macaroni and cheese which I love.  I didn't pour the sauce over the top of the loaf but served it on the side along with some peas and carrots, my favorite side dish with meatloaf.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I tried a meal kit today.  It's like Blue Apron I suppose except it is a local company and instead of delivering it to you, it's delivered to a grocery store and you pick out which meal you want to try. I got Jerk Chicken with cucumber mango relish and roasted Ranch potatoes.  Charlie, who is much more familiar with cooking from that part of the world said it was good but it wasn't Jerk Chicken.  The cooking time for the potatoes was too long and too short for the chicken.  Both seasonings burned on the bottom of the glass Pyrex plates I cooked on.  If I try another one, I'll cook on parchment or foil.  I made a salad to go with it.

20180210_145245.jpg

20180210_151500.jpg

• Like 8

47CA75E6-0E0A-4628-93B4-7E7FB88A6E66.thumb.jpeg.52c5c70978058069c4aa56821af02c80.jpeg

Sous vide lamb chops on pea and mint purée. (55°C x 60 mins from frozen). 

AB15DB13-3A73-4826-B9D7-9501B2960ABE.thumb.jpeg.3fb1d4c4c4d98affd21c06a11111be70.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Made my first pizza tonight.  Used a steel tile on the grill.   I didn’t check the steel temp before sliding the pizza on. It had been under 400f before I had to changed out the gas tank.   Must have been in excess of 600f when the pie slid on.   

Carbonized the bottom pretty bad but outside of that (roll eyes) it turned out good.  Used Lahey’s no kneed dough recipe.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, kayb said:

I liked it, it has a texture more akin to a biscuit/cracker (depending on which side of the pond your on) I found it held up well against the toppings. Admittedly I didn't use a lot of sauce due to the sugar content and we did leave the "pizza" to cool and consume later, but still completely hand edible. My issue with 'gluten free' versions is it is too 'close but no cigar' to the real deal - where is this is different enough to stand alone and still be familiar :)

Looking forward to trying cauli crust one day... when I can find them fresh again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1