• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I made some char siu bao (Chinese barbecued pork buns) for dinner tonight. I'm going to serve them with some stir-fried vegetables and cantaloupe. I found some beautiful sweet cantaloupe at our Chinese market today.

20180131_141534.thumb.jpg.859c6841546fc4f9821b1017a2cb6586.jpg

One of the buns leaked a little bit. I couldn't possibly serve it so I decided to have it for lunch. Quality control, you know. It was so good! It tasted just like the ones that I used to get at the ‘Piece of Cake’ Chinese Bakery in the International District in Seattle. I used  this recipe. It's the best one that I have ever found for these and I make my own Chinese BBQ pork.

20180131_143616.thumb.jpg.7b3d13054c07fef5431fb9681f8ef6ca.jpg

Those are just lovely.

Got a recipe you'd like to share?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

Got a recipe you'd like to share?

The recipe for the filling and the buns is within the post right above the second photo. I did make it in my bread maker and instead of making six buns I made 12. if you want the recipe for my homemade char siu (Chinese barbecued pork), I'm going to have to clean the recipe up tomorrow and I will send it to you if you want it. I've revised it a couple times from the original. I'll be happy to share it.

• Like 1

Beef Curry from my Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre. It was very good, especially with the keto-friendly naan bread I made with coconut flour to sop up the sauce.

Had some bok choy I had chopped up sitting in the fridge, so that was also part of the meal.

5a7298632ab47_InstantPotCurryBeefNaan2415.jpg.f88986c6ff2a785098120611d04f8434.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, weedy said:

My ripoff of Alan Wong’s avocado poke stack. 

0949AB04-426B-4BA4-89A9-A35F05B7B664.jpeg

Facing the prospect of an avocado myself for dinner, I cannot envision exactly what this is?  Google took me to the restaurant.  My plan is avocado and tuna, which sort of looks like what this is.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night was Pork Belly and only Pork belly. 

20180131_193555.thumb.jpg.a7684df4e95add377c62a83949d5d1f7.jpg

Tonight we had Omelette filled with bacon, Kale, Tomato, Gouda and Vintage Cheddar. 

20180201_200112.thumb.jpg.a3121c01cec8a46d0beceec69c9a2ea4.jpg

I don't think my omelette is close to traditional... but very very close to those I ate on touristy Spanish islands as a child.. apart from the Kale. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, chefmd said:

It looks great!  Which recipe di y use for bang bang sauce?

I got it from the Skinnytaste cookbook--basically it's just mayonaisse, Thai sweet chili sauce and sriracha.  I used extra sriracha.

Last night, salmon tacos with avocado crema from ATK's Nutritious Delicious.  They were indeed delicious.

5a730355876cd_salmontacos.thumb.jpg.91fd68a97f2e1ed303f6842e9e288668.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Last night was Pork Belly

You may not be a professional cook but you are certainly a natural-born good cook. You are not afraid to expand your repertoire and try new things and you do it well. You are a natural at something many people never learn. Your food is beautiful. You have a very lucky family. That pork belly looks so good that my mouth is watering. I'd gladly put my feet under your table any day. (And by the way, I've worked with professional line cooks that couldn't make an omelette that pretty!)

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The recipe for the filling and the buns is within the post right above the second photo. I did make it in my bread maker and instead of making six buns I made 12. if you want the recipe for my homemade char siu (Chinese barbecued pork), I'm going to have to clean the recipe up tomorrow and I will send it to you if you want it. I've revised it a couple times from the original. I'll be happy to share it.

Will go back and chase that down, but I'd love to have your homemade char siu recipe.

Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Tropicalseniorplease put your recipe in Recipe Gullet.  I’d love to see it as well.

I'm new at posting recipes but I did manage to get it done.  the recipe for the Char siu pork is Here  and I posted the recipe for the Buns so that we don't have to deal with broken or missing links later on. It is Here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Facing the prospect of an avocado myself for dinner, I cannot envision exactly what this is?  Google took me to the restaurant.  My plan is avocado and tuna, which sort of looks like what this is.

This one is actually a mixed fish Poke;

tuna, fluke, yellowtail, and striped bass. 

Sesame oil, sesame seeds, yuzu  juice, sweet onion. 

The avocado is mashed with with lime juice and finely diced jalapeño and Asian pear. 

Then it’s layered in a really my mold. 

I start with a base of Japanese seeet potato to glue it to the plate. 

Then a layer of fried wonton strips. 

Then the layer of avocado. 

Then the fish. 

Pull off the ring and drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise (sriracha and Japanese mayo with a touch of agave nectar) 

And bob’s your Hawaiian uncle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, weedy said:

Mine was simpler:  bib lettuce, avocado, can of tuna, Hellman's.  Lime juice and bread.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, weedy said:

This one is actually a mixed fish Poke;

tuna, fluke, yellowtail, and striped bass. 

Sesame oil, sesame seeds, yuzu  juice, sweet onion. 

The avocado is mashed with with lime juice and finely diced jalapeño and Asian pear. 

Then it’s layered in a really my mold. 

I start with a base of Japanese seeet potato to glue it to the plate. 

Then a layer of fried wonton strips. 

Then the layer of avocado. 

Then the fish. 

Pull off the ring and drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise (sriracha and Japanese mayo with a touch of agave nectar) 

I've been to an Alan Wong place in Wailea a few times (now closed. sadly). Called AmAsia. It was a little fusionish and was amazing...great name.