• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Salmon, cooked SV, no sear.  I tried putting some maple syrup in with salmon while cooking as opposed to putting it on after.  Didn't have much effect or flavor, except on the edges.  Won't be doing that again.  Served with steamed Brussels sprouts and salad.

salmon-bs4.jpg.ef1d91ff0bddf993035cd302cee6136e.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

My wife thought since we have had awesome beet salads at fancy restaurants before we should try to make our own.

Butter lettuce, roasted beets, toasted walnuts, grated parmigiano-reggiano, balsamic vinaigrette, and fresh ground pepper. Served with toast from the white sandwich bread I made earlier. Verdict: amazing!!

20180120_185133.thumb.jpg.0c23b687494f4dd05f7c5da5bd0feab1.jpg

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ann's garlic honey chicken again.  I am running very low on veggies so I used some brussel sprouts and bamboo shoots an onions.  It worked.

IMG_4007.jpg.9f56af60deda6b49de6f5618101e741a.jpg

Has this been posted to recipe gullet? I couldn’t find it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@shain  selek is beet, right?   What is the kibbeh shell made from and what is the stuffing?

Selek is indeed beetroot. 

The dough is made of semolina and eggs. Some versions add meat to the dough. 

I make my dough drier and more pasta like, in order to be able to roll it thinly in a pasta  machine. Not very traditional, but works great. 

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

You can find the recipe here.

Honey Garlic chicken

Thank you for the link, Ann. If there are any of you out there still unfamiliar with Ann's site, you have to go there. It is one of the most beautiful on the internet. The recipes and photography are phenomenal. I have spent many a happy hour there just browsing and drooling.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

DSC04487-001.JPG.711905de3953395a6f54b0cf3be87565.JPG

Curly endive and kumquat salad

Is the kumquat plain or was it treated in some way? I love their unique sweet/tart impact. Need to get myself over to my kumquat source!

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Is the kumquat plain or was it treated in some way? I love their unique sweet/tart impact. Need to get myself over to my kumquat source!

Plain.

5 kumquats, sliced thin and seeds removed, combined with shredded endive, salt, black pepper and California extra-virgin olive oil.

35 minutes ago, Captain said:

Pizza done on the BBQ

OOOH great crust.

Pizza off the grill is on the menu at our house tonight.  I just need to remember to call my husband and

have him take one of the batches of dough out of the fridge around 3:30 so it has time to warm up some before I get home from work.

9 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you for the link, Ann. If there are any of you out there still unfamiliar with Ann's site, you have to go there. It is one of the most beautiful on the internet. The recipes and photography are phenomenal. I have spent many a happy hour there just browsing and drooling.

You are welcome @Tropicalsenior.  And thank you for the kind words.

• Like 1

463ACE77-CE88-4309-9AEE-63E829FE980D.thumb.jpeg.38d592cce526ec67646ab4df9937f1d7.jpeg

Pork belly and kimchi on a homemade bun with some carrot sticks. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

like @HungryChris our day was dominated by football, and so sandwiches were in order.  My crustacean allergic nephew returned to college this morning, so I opted to make a sort of shrimp po' boy.  Very happy that the Patriots won, as that means I get to host my Super Bowl party (I only do when the Patriots are in it).  Not happy that the Eagles are the opponent, as I will have to listen to two weeks of razzing from my Eagles fan father leading up to the game (and also they look really good so...)

shrimp.thumb.jpg.941940348d7dfd7357ef8ce9d55f001e.jpg

• Like 15

Sunday night is pizza night. Today with 12h poolish, 2h bulk ferment Korean soft wheat flour dough. 70% hydration. 250 oC, air circulation, baked directly on the bottom of the oven.

Combinations included mushroom and salami, bacon and olive (pictured) and mushroom and bacon. The pictured combination won this time, but my four year-old is very difficult to predict :D

Crumb shot just because ...

WP_20180121_19_15_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20180121_19_16_20_Pro.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

DSC04408-001.JPG.a21c6acf5cbe8fd2b34b56dbe70ddb49.JPG

DSC04410-001.JPG.e18017ce9ded5bff3f3d0a2cb79f6797.JPG

DSC04519-001.JPG.10cdfe3ce474f62d21c5f6fafbe01b28.JPG

DSC04521-001.JPG.2de56fd6962390aa56a03cf419034f7d.JPG

DSC04525-001.JPG.5eb5d4e33b9516fdbf74082d2ce344a0.JPG

DSC04529-001.JPG.556506e10be2addfae76e1b3908e753d.JPG

DSC04538-001.JPG.914be82e8d61f082f06b04c167783da2.JPG

Orecchiette con cavolfiore e acciughe

It's so easy you can make it in 20 minutes. Fill a pot with water. Break up a head of cauliflower. Add the cauliflower to the pot of water. Bring to a boil. Boil the cauliflower for 5 minutes. Lift out with a giant strainer or slotted spoon. Chop cauliflower coarsely. Crush a couple of cloves of garlic or if you like, slice or mince them. Add dried pasta to the pot you cooked the cauliflower in along with some salt. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Warm olive oil in a pan along with garlic. Add an anchovy fillet and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to the garlic. Fry garlic until it turns color. Anchovy will disintegrate. Add cauliflower to pan. Saute cauliflower in flavored oil. Cook pasta until just shy of al dente. Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Add pasta to pan with cauliflower. If pasta seems dry, add pasta cooking water. Increase heat to high and finish cooking pasta in the pan with the cauliflower. Taste for salt and pepper, then serve immediately.

Occasionally I like to add a spoonful or two of toasted breadcrumbs at the end.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

Occasionally I like to add a spoonful or two of toasted breadcrumbs at the end.

May I like it except for the cauliflower part?

Here I went back and forth between leftover Peruvian chicken and pizza.  Came down on the side of pizza.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Ann also has another site just for her Recipes. if you go to this site be prepared to spend hours. They are all amazing.

Oh why did you send me back there! Ann does have an absolutely beautiful blog , and now, trapped in my low carb nightmare, I will be dreaming about her Gorgonzola garlic bread. It will be a good dream. 

Tonight we had Porterhouse (Its really not great, this batch,  a bulk pack with 3 beautiful steaks on top and 3 less than ordinary underneath), creamed Kale and an "Evening Egg"   9_9 

5a65bd0ddc13c_creamedspinach.thumb.jpg.66813b73e22aefab3e3c1a811737cf3b.jpg

• Like 8