• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Back to Hong Kong from 2.5 weeks in Germany and Spain. Tired after 2 long flights the unanimous vote of our family as to which comfort food we should have for our first dinner: Japanese (namely sushi, gyoza and miso soup). And the best thing everything was ready in less than 15 min - including the walk to pick up the sushi ... Good to be back home!

IMG_0438.JPG

• Like 15

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

chickensalsasriracha.thumb.jpg.6cd0b278ecbf9f14b2ef344eeb6b945f.jpg

Grilled (to me) / Broiled (to a lot of you I think) chicken boob, devoid of the good bits. Made up for with cheese, jalapeño, sriracha and served on Courgette ribbons with Broccoli. 

I am beyond bored of weighing every. minuscule. thing. 

nice photo!

• Like 2

Some geese have finally moved in so Ronnie got a few and saved the hearts, livers and gizzards too.  On the left of the bowl are some chicken gizzards on the right are the goose innards.  I fried them all then threw them in the Instant Pot for an hour.  Very tender.

IMG_3975.JPG.bca7bed58ff1073c5f0a995a8a8908dc.JPG

IMG_3976.jpg.a5f200cc8f9b585d467e6dd6b97413d6.jpg

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Does it count as cooking if I did it in my slow cooker? 

Swedish meatballs with egg noodles. Stupidly simple and cheap but surpringly good and satisfying on a cold night. 

Count me in, it looks really good, better that it's easy!

• Like 1

Fire And Curry

Fire And Curry, sounds like Michael Wolff's explosive new  book.

No, I am talking about Cold Weather Food.

Made SV chicken thighs with Thai green curry, prairie fire pepper, coconut milk, lime juice.

Hot, hot, hot! Good, good, good!

dcarch

5a5594932de16_fireCurry2.thumb.jpg.d36da9d633761a5aa96a2d0eb05c5138.jpg5a5594946e1d7_fireCurry.thumb.JPG.08b82914036dbe77c9a1b2766b0a6a50.JPG

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

DSC04181.thumb.JPG.54093d5b87600cdd2243c5995147677e.JPG

Rigatoni with sausage and broccoli.

It's a rare weekday dinner cooked by me - moreso since I started around 11 pm Pacific.

The sauce was pretty minimalist: lard, sweet Italian sausage, broccoli, salt, black pepper, white wine, pasta cooking water. Dusted with pecorino cheese and more pepper.

Buona notte!

• Like 13

Baguette, rib lamb chops, 30 second green beans -- beans that were on their way over the hill.  Sat down to eat about 3:30 am EST.  Dessert a bottle of Pusser's 15 year.  Also baked a boule but the boule is a present for a friend.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Found these frozen Rock Cornish Game Hens that all claim to be 16 oz. Close inspection quickly shows that not to be the case, as there are tiny ones and whoppers. Still, I like the idea and they all ring up at $2.59, which is pretty good. I did these Korean BBQ style in the oven. Next time I will do them in a closed baking dish for more moist tenderness, but these were pretty good. I served them with steamed broccoli and mild garlic couscous.

HC

IMG_1797.thumb.JPG.eb05da6d39c3dd50257a7140f6d0506c.JPGIMG_1796.thumb.JPG.404e3841c94e0e3113a239c1fa69a681.JPGIMG_1793.thumb.JPG.033c6bd9fb50af77190476257c9b473b.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Found these frozen Rock Cornish Game Hens that all claim to be 16 oz. Close inspection quickly shows that not to be the case, as there are tiny ones and whoppers. Still, I like the idea and they all ring up at $2.59, which is pretty good.

I love it when stores flat-price meats and poultry that way. I've seen weight variance of up to 40%, and I'm not at all embarrassed to stand there at the display gondola and sift through EVERY FREAKIN' PACKAGE to find the one or two largest. 

Scots ancestry, doncha know. :P

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@HungryChris

We did the same Game hens, different brand!!

I ended up using my clay cooker..  was moist / I also made a stuffing to go inside  ( top )--I cut the back out and serve it on that..killer

I made spicy green beans  ( sauce )-  sauté -Garlic, add  Sambel and a touch of rice wine, Cornish game stock

I sauced the birds with that near the end.

Cauliflower mash

25695693968_65feb5c709_o.thumb.jpg.3fe6a22a63f886cd4ca4a0585a4c4b32.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 14

Its good to have Morels

Last night arroz con pollo when John finally got home.  Served with some sautéed red kale and garlic.  Leftovers for tonight.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The Cornish hens spark my interest. I guess I'll cook dinner again someday; haven't done so since Christmas, as I've mostly been sick. But I do love a Cornish hen. One of the premier barbecue places in Memphis does a smoked/bbq'd CGH, and it's to die for.

In fact....maybe I need to make a Memphis run.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

81A14FF9-68E8-4BCE-8DA9-ED313AF294FD.thumb.jpeg.1e083885a11f55fc79d08c42aaa2497e.jpeg

One small perk of adulting. Parsnip, date and hazelnut quick bread with ricotta. Washed down with a Hole-in-One cocktail. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

John has been eating on the arroz con pollo.  I had gone shopping this morning and bought  a loaf of Thomas' cranberry swirl bread.  Toasted that up then thinly sliced turkey, cranberry sauce and some miracle whip and a cup of hot tea.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

81A14FF9-68E8-4BCE-8DA9-ED313AF294FD.thumb.jpeg.1e083885a11f55fc79d08c42aaa2497e.jpeg

One small perk of adulting. Parsnip, date and hazelnut quick bread with ricotta. Washed down with a Hole-in-One cocktail. 

First time I have ever heard of parsnip in a quick bread.