• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, dcarch said:

As I remember, those times I visited China, (very long time ago) I never saw limes or lemons sold.

Perhaps the Chinese never used lemon on sea foods.

dcarch

Yeah, the first ten years or so that I lived in China, I never saw lemons, but they are easily available here in the south, now. They are occasionally used with fish, but I'm not really sure what most people do with them. I don't recall ever being served any dish with lemon in a Chinese home, but all the supermarkets and markets have them. I must ask.

But then there is the local, famous Zhuang dish from Guangxi - Zhuang Lemon Duck.

liuzhou

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, dcarch said:

As I remember, those times I visited China, (very long time ago) I never saw limes or lemons sold.

Perhaps the Chinese never used lemon on sea foods.

dcarch

Yeah, the first ten years or so that I lived in China, I never saw lemons, but they are easily available now. They are occasionally used with fish, but I'm not really sure what most people do with them. I don't recall ever being served any dish with lemon in a Chinese home, but all the supermarkets and markets have them. I must ask.