• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

@liuzhou This variability of nomenclature reminds me of something that drove me crazy in Singapore - there was a vegetable that I loved that was served everywhere, called "baby gai lan" - but it didn't look anything like any type of gai lan I've ever seen.  And doing any kind of search for it brings up nothing even close - yet every place we went to, from hole in the wall dive to hawker center to restaurant all called it the same name, and when it was served, it was always the same thing!  Maddening!

ETA: this is a photo of the elusive "baby kailan"...

image.png.9a39615642e7d3e057bb94f68c0f821b.png

ETA (again).. another photo of the baby kailan, in a different place:

image.png.25aa653882c50dcc3a67c0873a6eaad5.png

KennethT

KennethT

@liuzhou This variability of nomenclature reminds me of something that drove me crazy in Singapore - there was a vegetable that I loved that was served everywhere, called "baby gai lan" - but it didn't look anything like any type of gai lan I've ever seen.  And doing any kind of search for it brings up nothing even close - yet every place we went to, from hole in the wall dive to hawker center to restaurant all called it the same name, and when it was served, it was always the same thing!  Maddening!

ETA: this is a photo of the elusive "baby kailan"...

image.png.9a39615642e7d3e057bb94f68c0f821b.png

KennethT

KennethT