• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Bought me a fish.

I was thinking I'd steam it Chinese style, but then thought "I can eat that any time. Do something different."

In the end I did it the same and different. I prepared it for steaming as if it was going to be a Chinese dish. You have to creep up on these critters. Gutted and de-scaled it then washed it in Shaoxing wine and stuffed it with garlic and ginger. Decorated the top with ginger "scales", chilli and carrot. Just to confuse it, I used two scallions to  act as an honour guard on either side. Then I steamed the baby for 12 minutes.

before2.thumb.jpg.de26462ca25dfbb5bf5de9dcd0c11f35.jpg

before

After 12 minutes steaming in the wok, I removed it,

cooked.thumb.jpg.78167595ec703c85fa120b272a93e564.jpg

after

let it cool a bit then removed the top fillet. That confused it. It's usually served whole, Chinese style.

Plated the one fillet with orzo and asparagus. In case it felt like a fish out of water, I added the two now steamed scallions to give it a feeling of security in this bizarre foreign environment.

edible1.thumb.jpg.e1a47b7347c19c6a10d7dde26bd0f8f3.jpg

Then  I ate it.

Then went back for the lower fillet., more orzo and more asparagus.

seconds.thumb.jpg.117cc126fa83592b949df969ee172fc7.jpg

The fish was nicely spicy from the ginger and chilli and I think it went well with orzo. I'm likely to revisit this.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Bought me a fish.

I was thinking I'd steam it Chinese style, but then thought "I can eat that any time. Do something different."

In the end I did it the same and different. I prepared it for steaming as if it was going to be a Chinese dish. You ave to creep up on these critters. Gutted and de-scaled it then washed it in Shaoxing wine and stuffed it with garlic and ginger. Decorated the top with ginger "scales", chilli and carrot. Just to confuse it, I used two scallions to  act as an honour guard on either side. Then I steamed the baby for 12 minutes.

before2.thumb.jpg.de26462ca25dfbb5bf5de9dcd0c11f35.jpg

before

After 12 minutes steaming in the wok, I removed it,

cooked.thumb.jpg.78167595ec703c85fa120b272a93e564.jpg

after

let it cool a bit then removed the top fillet. That confused it.

Plated it with orzo and asparagus. In case it felt like a fish out of water, I added the two now steamed scallions to give it a feeling of security in this bizarre foreign environment.

edible1.thumb.jpg.e1a47b7347c19c6a10d7dde26bd0f8f3.jpg

Then  I ate it.

Then went back for the lower fillet., more orzo and more asparagus.

seconds.thumb.jpg.117cc126fa83592b949df969ee172fc7.jpg

The fish was nicely spicy from the ginger and chilli and I think it went well with orzo. I'm likely to revisit this.