• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

23 hours ago, Toliver said:

It sounds like heresy to some, but as I've posted before, when it gets hot here where I live, my oven or my stovetop does not get turned on.

I use the microwave and that's it. It sometimes calls for a lot of creativity to figure what I can do with just a microwave for my meals but I accept that challenge. Anything is better than heating up the interior of my house more than what the weather is already doing to it.

Full agreement here from someone who has lived in Arizona, Mexico and FLorida for the past 15 years.

Time to whip out the food processor and light the outdoor gas grill. 

Mangos are just coming into season here in Central Mexico.  Our local trees are heavily fruited, but a week or two from full ripening when the splats! on the streets and sidewalks require some delicate footwork and an occasional glance upward. 

BTW the local rule is:  any mangos hanging over the sidewalk or street are fair game for anyone.  Soon the local eateries will send out their workers armed with long-polls with netted ends.  It's quite the show! 

This is a mango and tomato gazpacho with fresh basil and mint.  Topped with chilled grilled shrimp.

I8exZSwH_w-lEns_bJiREgwuNFfsGsxbPBkfPqUott1S3-quCiQHRfK9Hb3Go8EYVBHVBuUFRLH9kcyGfTGKvHQ_wu617AW0CfNCwARZsMcWCYpy_mBeJEF5NQ3W0k32d4sbbW3LJb9P6949KvVHXK-r9pjN7vVQaSis79RRvudeNTUxAOeazOEb5J14e-oZVNfRraLniUVpWwNpWpIT8bkMtrmOIVIi1ythaAgs3EzQ-1yqjavBWvg79IT5rUlFj33vVtLeIZ-1QASm144p81AvFhxcs4rtwpQccRO2dtRlxYLSXMvEGDSWPqRuW26wCu_BfUi-r8LZ6H3MxX2-IFPaAvbDcMnuwGTdcbjYyDnDVURq8-7eAKUw2TtTOA--eQGAR3fjTPTZ4-obE8ZflSbKpdD-bwbiTUYAcRoZPLu0GLODP2l1Hs1fTaGO90HHYn_eokqUmfsdmrwFzSCfkT97mHYltwu4cTI6AgOONtyHYmHHv4152UiaOPGUeocssIkYUbL9UX5gqPZp1cS-RhESPH518I7dt0l1DlrfGvFnKgzRLfaEdZDp6WfD2gR8h8WVTDkY7R4K0VyknWdUPn4dAvHAevPUVMew4Pqq=w718-h605-no

gulfporter

gulfporter

23 hours ago, Toliver said:

It sounds like heresy to some, but as I've posted before, when it gets hot here where I live, my oven or my stovetop does not get turned on.

I use the microwave and that's it. It sometimes calls for a lot of creativity to figure what I can do with just a microwave for my meals but I accept that challenge. Anything is better than heating up the interior of my house more than what the weather is already doing to it.

Full agreement here from someone who has lived in Arizona, Mexico and FLorida for the past 15 years.

Time to whip out the food processor and light the outdoor gas grill. 

Mangos are just coming into season here in Central Mexico.  Our local trees are heavily fruited, but a week or two from full ripening when the splats! on the streets and sidewalks require some delicate footwork and an occassonal glance upward. 

BTW the local rule is:  any mangos hanging over the sidewalk or street are fair game for anyone.  Soon the local eateries will send out their workers armed with long-polls with netted ends.  It's quite the show! 

This is a mango and tomato gazpacho with fresh basil and mint.  Topped with chilled grilled shrimp.

I8exZSwH_w-lEns_bJiREgwuNFfsGsxbPBkfPqUott1S3-quCiQHRfK9Hb3Go8EYVBHVBuUFRLH9kcyGfTGKvHQ_wu617AW0CfNCwARZsMcWCYpy_mBeJEF5NQ3W0k32d4sbbW3LJb9P6949KvVHXK-r9pjN7vVQaSis79RRvudeNTUxAOeazOEb5J14e-oZVNfRraLniUVpWwNpWpIT8bkMtrmOIVIi1ythaAgs3EzQ-1yqjavBWvg79IT5rUlFj33vVtLeIZ-1QASm144p81AvFhxcs4rtwpQccRO2dtRlxYLSXMvEGDSWPqRuW26wCu_BfUi-r8LZ6H3MxX2-IFPaAvbDcMnuwGTdcbjYyDnDVURq8-7eAKUw2TtTOA--eQGAR3fjTPTZ4-obE8ZflSbKpdD-bwbiTUYAcRoZPLu0GLODP2l1Hs1fTaGO90HHYn_eokqUmfsdmrwFzSCfkT97mHYltwu4cTI6AgOONtyHYmHHv4152UiaOPGUeocssIkYUbL9UX5gqPZp1cS-RhESPH518I7dt0l1DlrfGvFnKgzRLfaEdZDp6WfD2gR8h8WVTDkY7R4K0VyknWdUPn4dAvHAevPUVMew4Pqq=w718-h605-no