• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

25 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@TropicalseniorI have never seen dashi sold in a store - even in Japanese stores in NYC's little Tokyo.  But it's very easy to make - you need kombu (dried kelp),  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and water...  There was a time years ago when I did a lot more cooking than I do now, and I would use dashi all the time as a basis for various sauces.  I made it using this method: http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=3040.html which may be a little over the top but made a nice product.

Thank you, in other words, what I should be looking for is kombu (dried kelp) and  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) in which case, I may be out of luck. The last time that I tried to buy bonito flakes they sold me dried boniato which turned out to be dried sweet potato (in  Spanish). I'll just have to keep looking unless there's something I can substitute. Sometimes the joys of living in a foreign country just overwhelm me!

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@TropicalseniorI have never seen dashi sold in a store - even in Japanese stores in NYC's little Tokyo.  But it's very easy to make - you need kombu (dried kelp),  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and water...  There was a time years ago when I did a lot more cooking than I do now, and I would use dashi all the time as a basis for various sauces.  I made it using this method: http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=3040.html which may be a little over the top but made a nice product.

Thank you, in other words, what I should be looking for is kombu (dried kelp) and  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) in which case, I may be out of luck. The last time that I tried to buy bonito flakes they sold me dried boniato which turned out to be dried sweet potato (in  Spanish). I'll just have to keep looking unless there's something I can substitute.