• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. No flash. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses

gfweb

gfweb

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses