• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Smithy

What spices do you like with persimmon?

I have a series of old recipes for Hachiya persimmons.  I'm getting ready to use a windfall of those persimmons in a few baking projects.  The suite of spices called for in the cake and cookie recipes is cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.  I like cinnamon.  I like nutmeg and allspice in small touches but they can be overdone for my taste.  Cloves I detest, and I'm going to leave them out.  That makes me wonder, however, whether I can take this recipe in another sweet direction altogether.  What other spice combination might I use with persimmons to make a nice baked product - sweet but not jarringly so?

Suggestions, anyone?

• Like 1

Cardamom and/or saffron might be nice. And ginger. I'm interested in what you might bake. I can remember trying to bake loaf cakes with persimmon pulp a very long time ago. They were good, but there was no discernible persimmon flavor. It did add moisture and texture. I cannot remember what I did, it was too long ago and I was just winging it.

• Like 1

I was going to say cardamom as well.

• Like 1

Heck, I was just going for cardamom also.  Love it.  It's wonderful in nut/seed brittles also.

• Like 1

I like citrus (lemon or orange zest & juice) and ginger with persimmon. 

Persimmon, vanilla and coconut is also a nice combination - add a squeeze of lemon or lime for tartness if it's too sweet.  I used this in some popsicles but have seen it in cake recipes, too.

I think star anise would be lovely with persimmon.  Having made a coriander simple syrup recently, I'd like to try that flavor with persimmon for something a little unexpected.

I have no arguments with the cardamom crowd either :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I have a series of old recipes for Hachiya persimmons.  I'm getting ready to use a windfall of those persimmons in a few baking projects.  The suite of spices called for in the cake and cookie recipes is cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.  I like cinnamon.  I like nutmeg and allspice in small touches but they can be overdone for my taste.  Cloves I detest, and I'm going to leave them out.  That makes me wonder, however, whether I can take this recipe in another sweet direction altogether.  What other spice combination might I use with persimmons to make a nice baked product - sweet but not jarringly so?

Suggestions, anyone?

It's a Chef's Life with Vivian Howard, 2017 season has an episode on persimmons.  You can see it on line.  

• Like 1

When I eat a raw Fuyu I always taste a hint of warm spices. I like the combination in this pumpkin pie spice mix.

IMG_0449.JPG

• Like 1

Add me to the cardamom parade!

• Like 1

Persimmon as a fruit is not a very strong tasting fruit.  unlike apples, bananas, strawberries, oranges, mangoes, pineapples etc., any spice can easily mask it's taste.

I would not use any strong flavored spice, and certainly  very sparingly used if you must.

I do like to buy dehydrated persimmons from an Asian store, chop them up and add to my persimmon recipes, kind of like raisins.

dcarch

• Like 2

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.  I ended up using cardamamom, coriander, ginger (including crystallized ginger in place of raisins), a touch of saffron and a pinch of Berbere seasoning.  My persimmon bread went over very well - but, in fairness to dcarch, I must admit that one person thought it was ginger bread and another knew it had fruit but wasn't sure what type! Maybe I could have worked out a way to intensify the persimmon flavor. I still liked it better than our family's classic persimmon bread, which is seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg (but not, as I'd previously thought, cloves). I think it's the nutmeg that put me off.

20180202_125358.jpg

I have more puree, frozen, with which to experiment.

• Like 2

The Berbere seasoning is a very nice idea. I'm wondering if persimmon curd is a doable thing to serve alongside the cake. Or maybe just some sliced persimmons.  

9 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

The Berbere seasoning is a very nice idea. I'm wondering if persimmon curd is a doable thing to serve alongside the cake. Or maybe just some sliced persimmons.  

I like the persimmon curd idea. I've been thinking that persimmon puree would be a nice cheesecake topping if I could make it stiff enough (persimmon and sour cream, perhaps?) Persimmon curd would have a better texture.

Cardamom would be the spice I'd go for.  It lends a kind of sweetness to Nisu, and I suspect it would pair well with persimmons.

Yep, being original- cardamom,

what about yuzu?  It's hard to find here, not sure about where you are.

for something very unusual, what about something done with cucumber- perhaps an ice cream?

Posted (edited)

Cardamom is my first thought too.

Actually my second. At first I read the thread as "what spice do you like with permission?" which got me thinking of which forbidden spices I might like even more.

Also maybe cloves, chilis, cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1