• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When is a baguette a PITA?

I just made the King Arthur baking  book's baguette. A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified. Is there a simpler recipe that gives a good result?  

I use Reinhart's one in BBA, if I forget biga or poolish or whatever it is the night before I just put in a little sprouted wheat flour to get some nice enzymatic action you see from using those.

6 hours ago, keychris said:

I use Reinhart's one in BBA, if I forget biga or poolish or whatever it is the night before I just put in a little sprouted wheat flour to get some nice enzymatic action you see from using those.

Thanks.

What's BBA?

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

I just made the King Arthur baking  book's baguette. A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified. Is there a simpler recipe that gives a good result?  

Dan Leader’s 4-hour baguette

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified.

Two days, but how much active time?  Is it more than maybe a starter, a punch down, and shaping after a night in the fridge?

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

Two days, but how much active time?  Is it more than maybe a starter, a punch down, and shaping after a night in the fridge?

Good point.  Not much active time at all, really.

But when I want a baguette today I don't want to wait till tomorrow.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Good point.  Not much active time at all, really.

That was my thought about your complaint. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I just made this one. In 3 hours, because the proofing etc was done at 75 F which sped up the doubling in volume. Success!

Thanks, Anna!

0021.thumb.jpg.6f80ece65eb4a753c89284772127561a.jpg

You are welcome. I have made it a couple of times and been quite satisfied. 

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Clearly you need to plan your cravings farther ahead  ;)

But seriously, flavor takes time.  If you want a baguette 2 or 3 times a week, consider the "old dough" method (detailed by Peter Reinhart, I believe).  You keep a little blob of the last batch of dough souring in the fridge and add it to the new batch of dough.  Repeat. 

• Like 2