• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When is a baguette a PITA?

gfweb

I just made the King Arthur baking  book's baguette. A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified. Is there a simpler recipe that gives a good result?  

I use Reinhart's one in BBA, if I forget biga or poolish or whatever it is the night before I just put in a little sprouted wheat flour to get some nice enzymatic action you see from using those.

6 hours ago, keychris said:

I use Reinhart's one in BBA, if I forget biga or poolish or whatever it is the night before I just put in a little sprouted wheat flour to get some nice enzymatic action you see from using those.

Thanks.

What's BBA?

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

I just made the King Arthur baking  book's baguette. A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified. Is there a simpler recipe that gives a good result?  

Dan Leader’s 4-hour baguette

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shalmanese said:

I think if your Baguette ends up looking like a Pita, something has gone horribly wrong somewhere in your recipe.

I may be wrong but I suspect it was supposed to be a pun.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

A decent thing, but a two day project and not so good that the effort is justified.

Two days, but how much active time?  Is it more than maybe a starter, a punch down, and shaping after a night in the fridge?

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

Two days, but how much active time?  Is it more than maybe a starter, a punch down, and shaping after a night in the fridge?

Good point.  Not much active time at all, really.

But when I want a baguette today I don't want to wait till tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Good point.  Not much active time at all, really.

That was my thought about your complaint. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I just made this one. In 3 hours, because the proofing etc was done at 75 F which sped up the doubling in volume. Success!

Thanks, Anna!

0021.thumb.jpg.6f80ece65eb4a753c89284772127561a.jpg

You are welcome. I have made it a couple of times and been quite satisfied. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Bad puns aside, since Modernist Bread came out I've been trying to use their methods and have had wonderful success with boules but less so with baguettes.  I had thought to bake bread today but went with yeast raised waffles.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Clearly you need to plan your cravings farther ahead  ;)

But seriously, flavor takes time.  If you want a baguette 2 or 3 times a week, consider the "old dough" method (detailed by Peter Reinhart, I believe).  You keep a little blob of the last batch of dough souring in the fridge and add it to the new batch of dough.  Repeat. 

• Like 2