• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi, I'm Danielle from Philly

danielle_j

Hello All and Happy Holidays!

I'd like to introduce myself as a new member of eGForums.  My name is Danielle and I live and own a small-batch ice cream company in Philadelphia.  I've visited this site from time to time when I have a general cooking or baking question, but haven't become a member until now.  I was compelled to do so because as we grow our business, I'm finding the need to research different techniques to scale some of our processes.  I usually only find general home cooking/baking methods when I do Google searches, so came here hoping to find some more industry specific information.  We make everything for our ice cream and ice cream sandwiches from scratch; and, being that I don't have any formal culinary training, most of the methods that my staff and I use are based upon the results we get from experimenting and food science research.  Each one of our flavors has at least 2-3 recipes within them, be it for Black Magic cake; vanilla sugar-soaked cherries; or caramel.  We develop recipes for our ice cream inclusions so that the inclusion itself maintains excellent flavor and texture even when frozen -- we pride ourselves on figuring out the food science of the things that we put in the ice cream, along with the food science of ice cream itself.

I'm looking forward to reading through the forums; posting; and also offering input based on my knowledge.

Thanks for having me and Happy New Year!

~Danielle

Funfetti Cones Original.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome, Danielle. A Happy New Year to you, too.

Have you discovered the Philadelphia "Heartland" Gathering forum, from 2012?

Those cones are fun. Do you make those in-house, too?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Welcome, Danielle. A Happy New Year to you, too.

Have you discovered the Philadelphia "Heartland" Gathering forum, from 2012?

Those cones are fun. Do you make those in-house, too?

OMG, I was there.  It was great!  I met @Kerry Beal, ate at Han Dynasty and Zahav.  We should do it again.  And have ice cream at @danielle_j place!

• Like 1

@Alex - Those are our Funfetti cones that we made for an event this past Summer. One of the things we also love to do is collaborate with other like minded businesses.  So, we made a Funfetti ice cream using our Cream Cheese Ice Cream; cake from our production kitchen neighbor, Nutmeg Cake Design, and hand-rolled cones from The Konery. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

There are a good number of Philly people here. Where is your company?

My business is Zsa's Ice Cream.  Our production facility is currently based in the Roxborough/Manayunk neighborhood.  We sell to about 30+ natural foods and artisanal markets in the greater Philadelphia region and we have a vintage ice cream truck that goes out for street festivals and private functions.  Looking forward to connecting with more Philly people here!

• Like 2

Just now, danielle_j said:

My business is Zsa's Ice Cream.  Our production facility is currently based in the Roxborough/Manayunk neighborhood.  We sell to about 30+ natural foods and artisanal markets in the greater Philadelphia region and we have a vintage ice cream truck that goes out for street festivals and private functions.  Looking forward to connecting with more Philly people here!

www.zsasicecream.com and on Instagram @zsas

• Like 1

Did I hear ice cream?  I grew up in Philadelphia.  A family friend had been an ice cream magnate in the city:

http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15037coll3/id/41295/rec/2

No connection to the later owners nor location.  Word is he watered down his father's formula and went out of business.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou