• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thrift Store Ethics

Cronker

15 hours ago, Cronker said:

Well, to be fair, volunteer work isn't paying any bills, yet the charity receives all the benefits.

many places, mine included, view discount for volunteering as a "perk" of the job.

I totally agree and believe the discount is intended as a perk to encourage people to volunteer.  Just to clarify about the pricing - I believe their target is 1/2 of the estimated resale value, not the retail value.   The prices end up being quite low, although as you said, they are often higher for things that are more valuable and/or in demand.

The biggest issue facing us nowadays is places like IKEA and Target etc. You can pick up brand new dinner sets for under $20 and glassware, table linen and cutlery for under $10.  We sell all our coffee cups for 75 cents.  The best area for us is unusual, older pieces and strangely, things like Thermos, Eskies, Tupperware etc.

• Like 1