• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upselling

Fat Guy

I have no problem with upselling. I don't always enjoy the myriad of ways one finds to increase revenue, but I understand that a restaurant, just like any other business, has to employ a range of marketing methods to do so.

I can not say that I've ever truly been bothered by any method yet, because I also have no problem saying NO!

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I don't have any trouble with honest salesmanship. A server who recommends a special - or a dish which is otherwise one of the more expensive on the menu - because s/he's tried it and loves it or because it's been popular with customers is being honest. I often ask servers whether they've tried dishes or desserts because then I can get a personal opinion from them and take it into account if I so choose.

I also have absolutely no problem with the perfectly normal question of whether I want wine with the meal or dessert, coffee, or tea after the meal, nor do I really fault servers for asking whether I want bottled water when I ask for a glass of water (though that request never means I want bottled water when I ask for it in the U.S.)

What bugs me is a hard sell. I suspect I'm much like others, in that respect. It would also bug me if I asked for a wine recommendation for under $10 a glass and the waiter or sommelier recommended a wine for $20 a glass. That meant s/he didn't listen to me.

Michael aka "Pan"