• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desirable Vintage Cookware

Cronker

weinoo,  There are a lot of people who collect anything with mushrooms - and some of the collections are unbelievable.  Like the Pyrex fanatics. A few months ago a collector of mushroom ceramics, glass, plastic, kitchen stuff, mostly from the 1960s, posted photos on Facebook of her collection in every room, including an enclosed sun porch, which had been built on to the house just for her collection to expand.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I know somebody who scours a lot of garage/estate/vintage sales and skips over old cast iron stuff because they say a few too many people have used them to collect non-food oil (say, while fixing the car). I wonder how prevalent that really is.

@aperture I've never heard of this being a thing. I can see where something low and heavy would be ideal for the task as it would not easily tip over, but woe unto anyone who tried it with mine!

• Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

13 hours ago, aperture said:

I know somebody who scours a lot of garage/estate/vintage sales and skips over old cast iron stuff because they say a few too many people have used them to collect non-food oil (say, while fixing the car). I wonder how prevalent that really is.

This is probably false. You need a container that will hold 5-7 quarts of oil for common passenger vehicles with room to move that nasty oil out from under the vehicle without spillage. With inexpensive plastic containers like this one, that are of adequate size, why would anyone try to use a skillet? Also, with these specially designed drain containers, you can seal them up and carry the used oil back for recycling to the auto parts store where you bought your fresh oil. This service is free at Advance, last time I availed myself of it. I always changed my own oil or had a boyfriend, husband or relative change it, and I have never seen anyone suggest using a skillet. IMO I would not worry in the least that old cast iron has been used to drain used motor oil. It doesn't make sense. Most skillets would be way too small, and then what would one do with the used oil? 

> ^ . . ^ <

• 1 month later...

I love, love, love my original Mauviel 7 ply stainless cookware (with the cast iron handles). Around 2002, Williams Sonoma carried this (sole importer, I think) line...it never sold well (everyone wanted either Mauviel Copper or All Clad) and, within a year, it went on clearance  With my employee discount, I picked up a 7? 9? piece set for $100. It was so cheap, I brought my brother a set as a Christmas gift. I wish I would have purchased every single piece WS carried.  It wears like iron, shines up beautifully and cooks to perfection. It's impossible to find now, and that makes me sad.