• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menus for Christmas Dinner 2017

Porthos

I thought it would be fun to share what our various menus will be this year. I will be much too focused on family and cooking to post about it Christmas day.

Here's mine, humble as it is.

Roast Boneless Leg of Lamb, Greek Style

Scotsdale Potatoes

Greek Salad

Bourbon Carrots

Deviled Eggs

Olives

Rolls and Butter (Store-bought)

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Lunch...smoked turkey salad with slivered grapes, chopped candied pecans over spinach salad with pickled onions and cranberry vinaigrette

Afternoon snack... Roasted and pickled veg...pimiento cheese

Dinner... Butternut squash soup, Beef tenderloin, savory mashed yams, au gratin potatoes, jalapeño cornbread, greens , and sticky toffee pudding with hard sauce.  Christmas crackers 

• Like 5

We are going to our Catalan friend's house for paella. Not traditional but I'm sure it will be wonderful. We are at a disadvantage here, being inland and at the mercy of frozen seafood, but I'm sure Louis will rise to occasion. By the way, he's 95. I can only hope to be anywhere near as competent as he is when I get old. He says his mother lived to be 105 so we will have him for quite a few more years.

I think a New Year's Eve dinner with salt cod would be appropriate. I do love salt cod.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 9

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Christmas dinner for one - I have a hunk of beef in the sous vide tank that will be accompanied by either potatoes of some sort or mac and cheese (gonna call an audible on that one but leaning towards the mac) and brussels sprouts. I grabbed a nice baguette from the store because baking wasn't in the plans for this morning and Anna N's occasional pictures of her leftover beef sliced on a baguette have been calling my name for quite a while now. And now that the store won't be open again until tomorrow, it occurs to me that I forgot to grab horseradish... so that will be a small visit from the Ghost of Christmas Disappointment. The older daughter gave me a nice selection of import and craft beers so I'll look through those and see if any sound like they'd work with the meal.

My original plan was to pay homage to Christmas Story and make some North American-ized Chinese takeout dishes and have a tiki drink or two but laziness won the day so that isn't happening.

• Like 9

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

For our comida, we scored duck confit at our weekly open air market, courtesy of a Frenchman who brings his homemade offerings from Guadalajara to our little village.  I will simply pan sear for a crisp skin.  Sides: teeny-weenie roasted red cambrey potatoes with rosemary, and grilled chilled aparagus (lemon and garlic).   Bread....there's a new Swedish bakery here and I got a loaf of black olive and thyme sourdough (still warm when I bought it and I ate 1/4 of it on the way home). 

No dessert other than bakery bought Christmas cookies and the last of my homemade cranberry squares.    

I was down with a very bad cold for 2 weeks leading up to the Big Day, so not a lot of planning went into this.  Feeling better now and will host a New Years Day meal for friends. 

• Like 3

I forgot to mention dessert: Flaming Plum Pudding. It was my MIL's recipe and we took some yesterday to share with my FIL, along with some Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Lunch: Veggie tray, pickles, fruit salad, cheese and charcuterie. Prosecco. Nuts, candies.

Dinner: Ham. Roast beef (Pike's Peak cut, so nothing special, but burbling away now in the sous vide bath). Sweet potato casserole. Mashed potatoes. Brussels sprouts. Asparagus. Cranberry salad. Cheesecake if anyone wants it (likely no one will). Coppola Claret.

Tomorrow: Naps and sandwiches. Will pickle the leftover veggies. And maybe devil some eggs.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We are at my brother’s and his tradition is pot stickers, Peking duck and mandarin pancakes then the rest of the duck meat is put in a stir fry with peanut sauce and veggies, served with steamed baby book chop.  I made Kelller’s chocolate ice cream for dessert.  First time I have had this.  Not so sure about the peanut sauce but we’ll see.

• Like 6

Good heavens!  Only one mention of turkey and it's smoked.

Here is the far frozen north we are extremely traditional with roasted turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, and carrots.  Oh, and cranberry sauce.  And for dessert, Fanny Farmer's Viennese Crescents drizzled with dark chocolate of course.  The traditional flaming pudding with custard is ready to go but is awaiting our Wednesday visitor. 

• Like 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We had our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve this year. Basically the same menu as used for our Thanksgiving dinner. Just the two of us, so we don’t do the whole turkey anymore.

2D553987-B593-4270-9240-7C254A48D46F.thumb.jpeg.e3b9f093e3d544fb267dc697a46300f3.jpeg

Roasted Turkey Thighs, Mashed Potatoes, Dressing, Green Peas, Homemade Dinner Rolls and Gravy

• Like 7

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday when my sister-in-law texted me and mentioned she was going to pick up my sister and BIL and that the front door would be left open. The surprise was that I thought dinner was today! Fortunately I had prepared my part ahead and had it all in the fridge - so a quick scramble to get everything in the car - picked up the child from the sitter and headed off for dinner.

Traditional turkey (bought at Costco), stuffing (my SIL likes to put sausage in it), brussels sprouts with a whole lot of bacon and stuff, butternut squash casserole (sweet, smooth and creamy, with a pecan crust brought by nephew and wife). My contributions - scalloped potatoes (I had planned to make mashed as well - in spite of their insistence that they prefer scalloped - they always eat the mashed), cranberry jelly and steamed cranberry pudding (made in the Instant Pot) with sugar, cream and butter (and some booze) sauce. And of course a fair bit of the leftover chocolate I had made to sell at work.

I had made a trifle as well - but didn't take that along - today brother and SIL came over to give us some leftovers and we enjoyed some then.  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Good heavens!  Only one mention of turkey and it's smoked.

My DW is very firm on something, and I am okay with it. Turkey is for Thanksgiving and NOT for Christmas.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My DW is very firm on something, and I am okay with it. Turkey is for Thanksgiving and NOT for Christmas.

I'm with her. Don't do turkey for Christmas. Generally ham. Often roast beef of some description. Sometimes I'll even do a shrimp boil.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Nothing too fancy this time. Because of work, I only got to be home for eight hours today, so it was what I could manage while also finding time to get a bit of sleep in too. Slow-cooked ham with carrots and Stonewall Kitchen holiday jam. Sides of sort-of duchess potatoes (the ingredients are all there, just not as pretty), and smashed brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and gorgonzola.

• Like 5

Last minute dithering and just the two of us for Xmas dinner meant I ended up picking up a boneless prime rib from Trader Joe's. Somehow it didn't really connect that it was $11.99 per pound! Holy cow, raised on rare grasses and dusted with saffron! it better be good. In the oven now. We eat late, compared to others. 

CSO is steam-baking some small mixed potatoes (red, white, purple) and steaming some broccoli and cauliflower on the side. 

And we have a can of Spotted Dick for dessert! I think it came from the local Fry's/Kroger. Surprised to see it in their import/British section. 

The best thing today so far was the jerky our neighbour made and gifted to us - it is amazing and I usually despise the stuff. 

• Like 5

We had: 

(For 4 adults and a golden retriever who’s grandparents snuck her bites ) 

Appetizers:

- Shrimp cocktail 

- Brie baked in puff pastry

- assorted antipasto- cheeses, salami, prosciutto, olives 

Dinner:

- Kale sale from Costco ( https://www.eatsmart.net/product/sweet-kale-vegetable-salad-kit/ ) 

- Store bought rolls 

- olive olive roasted new potatoes 

- Marsala glazed mushrooms

- Marinated hanger steaks and sweet Italian sausage from a local butcher ( http://www.greenvillagepacking.com/ )

and a “death by chocolate trifle” aka layers of chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, cool whip and crushed heath bars. 

Not really a typical Christmas dinner. My father is allergic to all poultry (except eggs but including chicken stock) as well as most mild white fish and they don’t grill in the winter so this is a treat for them. My husband enjoys firing up the BGE no matter what the temp (21f) and the sides are simple so it was pretty easy all around and we were able to relax. 

I hope everyone enjoyed enjoyed their holiday dinner!  And I’m starting to realize the dish washing fairy won’t be showing up despite my champagne and chambord wishes! A418C531-F8C9-47EA-9886-B7111FBCBB1C.thumb.jpeg.0b557fb2f2559405f3c601c385100741.jpeg

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 7

If I can ask here: is turkey not traditional in the USA at Christmas?  In Canada, our grocery stores are FULL of turkeys.  Up to the rafters with turkey.  Now I'm sure not everyone in Canada eats turkey, but it's been part of my life and my husband's life since we were little kids and we were raised in dissimilar households.  

OTOH, in Canada, Thanksgiving is not nearly as big as holiday as it is in the States.  And right, we eat turkey then too.  And that's it for turkey for the rest of the year.

It seems to me that ham is traditional at Easter.  Yes?  No?

But then I may be off on the wrong track completely.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Id say traditionally , i.e. before the Internet changed things

Ham for Easter

Turkey for Thanksgiving

and when beef was much much cheaper  a Standing Rib roast for Christmas or a roast of some kind

when beef shot up , turkey move in a second act to Christmas.

• Like 3

I'm one of those people who grew up with absolutely no xmas traditions. My parents were non-religious jews and my mother was not much of a cook. There were Chinese restaurant xmas dinners, to be sure. Xmas morning would most likely be bagels and lox from Barney Greengrass around the corner. Once in CA, I married into a family of Unitarian vegetarians who always had minestrone for xmas eve and opened presents that evening, so my husband and daughter and I were free to make it up as we went along on xmas day. Sometimes we gave a party, other times we were invited out. Other times we just went to the movies and had pizza. Or we went over to San Francisco and ate crab at one of the renown Chinese restaurants way out in the Avenues where it is a guaranteed mob scene.

This year was the first year our daughter wasn't back for the holidays--so strange! We hosted my nephew's wife's Italian parents who were out from NY and who cooked most of the dinner: a feast of caponata, rigatoni with meat sauce and orange olive oil cake. Meanwhile my daughter was in Orlando with her fiancé's family. Their tradition for xmas? Steaks on the grill. All good! For me, turkey once a year at Thanksgiving is all I can handle. but if you have a carcass you don't want I'd be more than happy to take it of your hands.

The day after xmas is really my favorite day during the holidays. You get to play with your toys, eat leftovers and try out your new tiny little sake glasses (so lovely).  We're having bannocks for breakfast! Excellent toasted and slathered with Irish butter and marmalade. Happy Boxing Day to all!   

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The day after xmas is really my favorite day during the holidays. You get to play with your toys, eat leftovers and try out your new tiny little sake glasses (so lovely). 

I am so with you on this. Christmas is all about the day after. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am so with you on this. Christmas is all about the day after. 

Absolutely. No one awake but me and the pug. The pug is questionable. Eating leftover from Dec. 23 banana pudding, with a mimosa and a cup of coffee. Will determine what ballgames are on, to which I will nap, shortly.

Going to be cold for two weeks. I'm ready.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

If I can ask here: is turkey not traditional in the USA at Christmas?

Turkey was always a Christmas tradition when I was growing up and many of my family still adhere to that.  Last year, the cousins who I joined for the holiday served ham for the big Christmas Eve dinner and received so many squawks of "Where's the turkey???" that they resolved never to do that again!  

Christmas Eve dinner with my cousins for 26 guests - 

Nibbles:  cheeses, salami, crackers, spiced nuts, black bean, avocado, corn & pomegranate salsa with chips

Main:  roast turkey with stuffing (actually 2 turkeys), gravy (mass quantities) mashed potatoes, green bean/mushroom casserole, Swedish meatballs, lefse and lingonberry sauce

Dessert:  Homemade Christmas cookies - my favorites of the 9+ varieties: kolaczki, chrusciki, spritz, Russian tea cakes and peanut butter pinwheels

Christmas dinner for 10, with the same cousins - 

Nibbles - same as above plus marinated, grilled shrimp

Main - broiled, maple-glazed salmon, rosemary roasted fingerling potatoes, green beans with almonds, Brussels sprout, apple & pomegranate salad with blue cheese vinaigrette

Dessert - eggnog gelato with fresh berries and more Christmas cookies

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darienne said:

If I can ask here: is turkey not traditional in the USA at Christmas?  In Canada, our grocery stores are FULL of turkeys.  Up to the rafters with turkey.  Now I'm sure not everyone in Canada eats turkey, but it's been part of my life and my husband's life since we were little kids and we were raised in dissimilar households.  

OTOH, in Canada, Thanksgiving is not nearly as big as holiday as it is in the States.  And right, we eat turkey then too.  And that's it for turkey for the rest of the year.

It seems to me that ham is traditional at Easter.  Yes?  No?

But then I may be off on the wrong track completely.

Yes, turkey for both holidays at our home and those of most of my friends.  At least in Canada there's 2+  months between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Ours can be as short as 3 1/2 weeks.

Edited by gulfporter (log)

22 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Yes, turkey for both holidays at our home and those of most of my friends.  At least in Canada there's 2+  months between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Ours can be as short as 3 1/2 weeks.

The Canadian Thanksgiving is on the second Monday in October, giving us more than two months between servings of turkey.  Any closer and I'm not sure I could do it.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.