• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dehydrating neck bones

FeChef

Have about 20lbs of beef neck bones that were frozen that were starting to show some signs of freezer burn, decided to use a basic wet cure (8 tsp cure#1 + 2 gallons of water) anyway, from what i read its about the bare minimum amount of cure. No salt, just a few tbsp of wrights all natural liquid smoke. Going to let this cure for 8-10 days and i am thinking of using my dehydrator. The neck bones are thick, a good 3x3in some maybe 4x4in. Im wondering how long to dehydrate, and at what temp is safe before bones start to get brittle and splinter as these will be for our large dog. Just a heads up, not trying to be rude, but spare me the "not good for x animal regarding the cure#1" My concern is the splintering of bones from heat that is my concern, hense why i want to use my adjustable temp 100-160F convection dehydrator.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info on the subject.

I am 6 hours in @ 155F , with how meaty these bones are, its barely seeing 145F. They smell and look amazing. I am going to crank it down to 135F before bed to let it ride overnight. I guess i'll have to poke at it since the bend test doesn't apply here.

The meaty bones may very well be delicious, but dogs might not have the temperament to chew them delicately.

A friend of mine was house-sitting for a couple years ago and the duties included taking care of the dog -a mild mannered pug.  A friend of his stopped by with some BBQ pork ribs to share with friend #1.  Friend #2 wanted to give the finished pork bones to the dog but friend #1 protested, suggesting that heat makes bones brittle and cooked bones could choke the dog.  Friend #2, in an effort to disprove the brittle bone lore, defiantly gave the bones to the dog.

Within an hour, the dog choked on the bones and died.

Edited by Baron d'Apcher (log)

Well, I feel sorry for your friends Pug. I have a rotty, I gave her one of the beef neck bones and she mowed the meat off the bone and pretty much left the bone with no interest. As far as i am concerned its a home run. I will continue to monitor her when i give her these neck bones, but its great to see they didnt go to waste.

Just a fyi, she did not get the $hits from this meaty neck bone  i cured it cure#1. How ever, she has been getting the $hits with bones bought from the pet store. Just a heads up for other dog owners buying their dogs these over priced, bones that are obviously worse for them then homemade dried bones.

They were bought from Petco, incaser anyone is curious.

Edited by FeChef (log)