• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Subway's Reuben sandwich

lindag

Been seeing TV ads for this recently and today seemed like a good day.

Actually the sandwich was pretty good, better than most of the Subways I've had before (don't even contemplate their tuna sandwich!)

i don't go there often but I would go back for this one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the head's up, lindag.  When we travel, we usually stop at Subway to get something to eat.  So next time, we'll try the Reuben.

Don't worry about the tuna sandwich...I wouldn't eat tuna anywhere, any time, any way.   

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Subway's salads are reasonable. Usually. But I swear, they appear to administer an IQ test to prospective employees and hire the ones who score the lowest. I am rarely speechless, but was left so by the employee who asked me with a perfectly straight face, after I'd ordered a salad with "everything but peppers and pickles and onions," "And do you want lettuce with that?"

(I'm going to feel really bad if it's their corporate policy to hire the developmentally disabled.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, Darienne said:

Thanks for the head's up, lindag.  When we travel, we usually stop at Subway to get something to eat.  So next time, we'll try the Reuben.

Don't worry about the tuna sandwich...I wouldn't eat tuna anywhere, any time, any way.   

They say on the poster in the shop that it's available only temporarily.  I'm hoping that it'll be very popular and they'll keep it.  As to their tuna sandwich, it is beyond awful. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lindag said:

Been seeing TV ads for this recently and today seemed like a good day.

Actually the sandwich was pretty good, better than most of the Subways I've had before (don't even contemplate their tuna sandwich!)

i don't go there often but I would go back for this one.

THANK YOU for posting this!  I was wondering if it was any good!  I will try Reuben just about anywhere I go, but its nice to hear about it in advance.   Ever since working in Ann Arbor, and eating the Reubens at Zingerman's, I've been hard pressed to find another Reuben that even came close to that masterpiece of pure yumminess.  

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

This old lady hails from Montreal and knows what a smoked meat sandwich and a bagel should taste like.  Not to mention that currently sour cream is a mere shadow of its former self.  Funny how this is quickly degenerating into a rant.

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 hours ago, Darienne said:

This old lady hails from Montreal and knows what a smoked meat sandwich and a bagel should taste like.  Not to mention that currently sour cream is a mere shadow of its former self.  Funny how this is quickly degenerating into a rant.

Hi Darienne,

I have a big problem with my local and formally accessible Subway outlet. Their quality is just horrible, and I'll never set foot there again, but other Subway stores are so great I've bought stuff that was craveable. It greatly depends on the management of your particular outlet. The reuben sounds good, and I'd try it from a good outlet, if I get a chance.

Can you get Daisy brand sour cream in Canada? The ingredients are only cultured cream. No weird ingredients, thickeners or extenders. It's really mainstream around here, widely available, and very good. I don't understand why it doesn't put the other brands out of business. But yeah, like Subway outlets, you really have to warily watch sour cream nowadays ... and many other things.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks, Thanks.  Don't know about Daisy sour cream.  I don't think so....but someone else will know for sure.

Went into a Subway today and asked about the Reuben.  Only in the USA?  Pity.:(

• Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, royal123 said:

Subway's food is always fresh. Best part is favorite veggies can be added according to the eating quantity of person who is ordering within reasonable prices.

Erm?

Beg to differ. The output from various Subway stores varies so much that it can be craveable (location inside Duke Hospital, Durham, NC) to execrable and inedible (my closest location on Chatham St.)

If you find a good franchise, go for it and lucky you. Otherwise, proceed with extreme caution. Ha Ha. Just searched for the offending nearby one, and it has disappeared. Thank you, Lord, for your kind mercy on unsuspecting hungry patrons. xD

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm a big fan of the reuben sandwich and would probably give this a shot but it doesn't appear to be available at the local store. Such is life.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm a big fan of the reuben sandwich and would probably give this a shot but it doesn't appear to be available at the local store. Such is life.

Hi Tri2Cook,  I had checked and apparently it is not available in Canada.   What else is new?

Also, in many years of eating from Subways all across the USA and in Ontario, I am delighted to say that we have yet to encounter one bad experience.   Perhaps a splendid accident on our part.  Sorry, Thanks for the Crepes, that you have had bad luck.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

19 hours ago, Darienne said:

Hi Tri2Cook,  I had checked and apparently it is not available in Canada.   What else is new?

Also, in many years of eating from Subways all across the USA and in Ontario, I am delighted to say that we have yet to encounter one bad experience.   Perhaps a splendid accident on our part.  Sorry, Thanks for the Crepes, that you have had bad luck.  

I'm glad you have had good experiences with all the Subways you've encountered. Consider yourself extremely lucky. I can't believe that Cary and the surrounding area is the only place that has Subway franchises from gross to excellent. Just so's you don't think I'm crazy, here's a Yelp link to Subways close to me and the ratings range from 1 to 5 stars. If you take the time to read the reviews, which I do, the ratings will usually match the restaurant experience around here. We have a ton of these franchises in the area and most of them are really lousy. I was reading a review from a woman who experienced wilted and slimy spinach being put on her sandwich just like I did the last time I darkened the door of a Subway. I mean the employee "sandwich artist" wasn't blind. She saw exactly what slop/garbage she deliberately placed on my sandwich. 

That kind of gross experience sticks with you. It will be a while before I ever go to a Subway. The good experiences stick with you too. That last horrible visit was because I was craving roast beef with lots of veggies from Subway after eating at the location inside Duke hospital, Durham. What can I say? It's a total crap shoot around here.

Sorry you can't get the Reuben, but if it's any consolation, the one photo I saw of one from around here showed extremely little meat in proportion to the bread and twice or more saurkraut as meat. I do not think that is the way to make a good Reuben. Besides,  aren't proper Reubens toasted or grilled?

Seriously, around here, the Subway experience can occasionally give you the craves, but more frequently a case of the skeeves.

• Thanks 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I have not been to a subway in a few years, but have had mixed experiences at various locations. It sounds like the firm is in a struggle that could go either way. As an income minded investor, I am always searching the news for trends and stories that might provide insight, I read this article recently.

HC

http://www.businessinsider.com/subways-closes-stores-spirals-downwards-2017-12

• Thanks 1

Subway used to have the quick serve sandwich business all to itself, now that there is more competition, actually lots of competition, they are losing business rapidly! Between Jimmy John's, Potbelly, Which Wich, Jersey Mike's, etc. there are a lot of better choices.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The Reuben Sandwich was a specialty sandwich that was around only for a limited time. It disappeared at the end of 2017.

If it was a success for the company, it will be back.

My mom had a hankering for the sandwich so my brother bought her one. She said she enjoyed it. My brother was upset with how much sodium was in the sandwich. O.o

C'est la sel!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

42 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese. Sounds like a salt bomb to me. 

Yep, even using the very best of premium ingredients, it would be. And I'm pretty sure Subway did not spring for the very best of premium ingredients.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When my father was going through his final illness, and I'd make an every-weekend pilgrimage to his home, he announced one day, "You know, I wish I had a good Reuben sandwich." So the next Friday, I stopped off in Memphis at the Jewish deli, bought corned beef, sauerkraut, and rye bread, went on home, and made him a Reuben. And did so on the next (final) 12 weekends of his life.

I never eat a Reuben now that I don't think of him. Funny. Country boy from West Tennessee, probably never got any closer to a real Reuben than Fort Bragg, NC (I do know he never was in NY, which I think of as ground zero for Reubens), but he loved 'em. And the man could make the best sauerkraut in the world. One had to, he explained with total seriousness, make it "by the signs," i.e., when the Farmers' Almanac told you the moon phases and other Zodiac indicators were right. 

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

When my father was going through his final illness, and I'd make an every-weekend pilgrimage to his home, he announced one day, "You know, I wish I had a good Reuben sandwich." So the next Friday, I stopped off in Memphis at the Jewish deli, bought corned beef, sauerkraut, and rye bread, went on home, and made him a Reuben. And did so on the next (final) 12 weekends of his life.

I never eat a Reuben now that I don't think of him. Funny. Country boy from West Tennessee, probably never got any closer to a real Reuben than Fort Bragg, NC (I do know he never was in NY, which I think of as ground zero for Reubens), but he loved 'em. And the man could make the best sauerkraut in the world. One had to, he explained with total seriousness, make it "by the signs," i.e., when the Farmers' Almanac told you the moon phases and other Zodiac indicators were right. 

Not that it's much, if any, closer to Ft. Bragg, but it's very possible that the Reuben was invented in Omaha..

• Like 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.