• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Steak

boilsover

There is a bbq method that does work that uses baking soda before applying a rub, that is supposed to cause the meat to brown alot faster at low temps that would normally take twice as long to brown. I tried it and i did notice a better browning. I was just wondering if omitting sugar and replacing it with this dextrose mixture would have the same effect. Maybe get rid of the baking soda and just use the dextrose?

Use the therms.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But not too many, or you'll get bad results.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

(Images sourced from Giphy.com)

On a related note, I'm going to be picking up a Japanese konro grill in the near future, which should be great for searing. I have my eye on the medium one that Korin sells, which is the one you tend to see featured. It's the center of this ChefSteps family meal:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/18/2017 at 6:00 PM, boilsover said:

...those huge weed burner jets.

I bought one, but I haven't tested it yet. devil2.gif

If you prefer to sear with oil, try avocado...the smoke point is ~500°.

k48raf.jpg

Source: Harbor Freight Tools

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The Chinese use baking soda in marinades to tenderize meat so you may get some of that effect.  I guess you would have to try some on a small piece of meat.

Here's some info that I've post in the past...FWIW...

11v0fg3.png

Source: Handbook of Meat and Meat Processing By Y. H. Hui

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

23 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I bought one, but I haven't tested it yet. devil2.gif

If you prefer to sear with oil, try avocado...the smoke point is ~500°.

k48raf.jpg

Source: Harbor Freight Tools

Big +1 on avacado oil.  I chanced on some for cheap at Grocery Outlet and really like it.  Neutral and high smoke.  Shoulda bought 2 cases!

• Like 1

I tred some Avocado Oil from TraderJoes.

it had no avocado flavor what so ever

I took it back

perhaps your AC is much better ?

so much more flavor-full?

so I congratulate you !

I just use TJ's Rice Bran Oil

for High Temps

and I keep it in a very cold refrigerator  

the price differential is decent

Edited by rotuts (log)

The oil is less important than the therms. If you're therming right, there's going to be plenty of smoke regardless of what oil you use. And possibly fire.

That said, rice bran, avocado, and clarified butter or ghee are all good fats for searing. Peanut oil and refined/light olive oil are good, more widely available options.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I tred some Avocado Oil from TraderJoes.

it had no avocado flavor what so ever

I took it back

perhaps your AC is much better ?

so much more flavor-full?

so I congratulate you !

I just use TJ's Rice Bran Oil

for High Temps

and I keep it in a very cold refrigerator  

the price differential is decent

I don’t think avocado oil is supposed to taste of anything much.  Most research that I’ve done suggests that it has a nutty, buttery flavor but nothing to suggest avocado.  I think for most people this is its appeal.  But I can understand disappointment if it does not taste like avocados and that is what you were expecting. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's a little variation on the theme.  I prepped a Hanger steak yesterday by removing the membrane and silverskin, dusted it with transglutaminase, wrapped in apple wood smoked bacon and vacuum bagged.   I cooked it SV tonight for 1.5 hours at 127.  I finished it in hot oil to brown up the bacon.  I'm still using the meat glue that I bought years ago.  It's part of a kilo that I rebagged into 100 gram portions and froze.  

P1060460rs.thumb.jpg.4b47757d63cae350c15d7be383caee40.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, btbyrd said:

The oil is less important than the therms. If you're therming right, there's going to be plenty of smoke regardless of what oil you use. And possibly fire.

That said, rice bran, avocado, and clarified butter or ghee are all good fats for searing. Peanut oil and refined/light olive oil are good, more widely available options.

I agree, I use my vortex chimney starter grill. Who even needs oil? Even a 1/4 inch thick SS plate will do the job with justs a drizzle of veg oil on that sucker if your trying to sear instead of grill. 

But my post was directed toward low heat browning and speeding it up to keep the internal temp of the meat lower. 

3 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Here's a little variation on the theme.  I prepped a Hanger steak yesterday by removing the membrane and silverskin, dusted it with transglutaminase, wrapped in apple wood smoked bacon and vacuum bagged.   I cooked it SV tonight for 1.5 hours at 127.  I finished it in hot oil to brown up the bacon.  I'm still using the meat glue that I bought years ago.  It's part of a kilo that I rebagged into 100 gram portions and froze.  

P1060460rs.thumb.jpg.4b47757d63cae350c15d7be383caee40.jpg

That looks amazing Steve.

Hanger steak is impossible to come by in my area.

and I know there is only 1/ beast .

Ive always found Knife-Work in the kitchen is time well spend.

why ruin an outstanding piece of meat by not removing all the Tough-Bits first ?

so Kudos your way  @Steve Irby 

A long time ago I used to grill thick filet .

I sued to carefully trim off all the silverskin and the tough membrane that wound into the meat.

images-1.jpeg.71d03b500976447b3fadf1d24d85a695.jpeg

its hard to find a good image on the internet

but you can see some of that on the above image.

then Id tie it back together

Edited by rotuts (log)