• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison fridge life

Kerala

Hi folks, I need some advice, or at least hand-holding.

I bought a 6 kg haunch of venison from the butcher last Wednesday, picking it up on Saturday. He assures me it will be fine in my fridge until Christmas, when I am planning to roast it.

To me, it seems a long time for meat to sit around, but on the other hand the butcher knows his job and doesn't want to kill a local family.

Could the voice of experience please soothe my worried brow?

I'm on the verge of chucking it in the freezer to play it safe.

Yes, @Kerala. I agree with @liuzhou. I'm not a hunter, but have been the lucky recipient of much venison over the course of my life. Please freeze your bounty. I had a cat named Squeaker at one time that would eat rare venison until he popped if I let him. :D It will freeze very well for this short period and will be better than if you just kept it in the fridge.

> ^ . . ^ <