• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pan Size for Whole Gammon

ElwoodP

Hi, I have ordered an 8kg gammon ham on the bone. I need to buy a pan to boil it in before roasting. Can anyone help me out on what size I should buy? Or maybe a big deep tray would be better and just cover and turn it every so often? I guess I need to know some rough dimensions of the thing, butchers weren't that helpful holding up their hands to give me an estimate.

Any good recipes?

If I was you I'd get a very large, 19- or 20-liter stock pot. No need for anything too expensive or fancy, just big. There are lots of recipes out there that involve putting things in the water as you boil it, but the reality is that basically none of that really influences the flavor of the ham enough to matter, it's more about flavoring the resulting stock. Your best bet for adding flavor to the ham is to glaze it after it's cooked and put it in the oven to set the glaze. And to make sure you bought a flavorful ham to begin with, of course.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org