• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lefse!

Raamo

So I'm 7/8 Swedish, and grew up around a lot of American Scandinavians (most came over mid 1800s).  So one thing I had fond memories of growing up was Lefse.

Anyway a long time ago now - my wife and I decided we'd make lefse, got the griddle at a Swedish store in a small town in MN, the sticks and rolling pin too.

So a few times a winter we cook up the potatoes (since we got the steam oven we just fill the plan and let that do the work), rice them, add butter and milk/cream.  And the next day she kneads the potatoes with flour, rolls them out and I cook them on the griddle.

We don't really have a recipe - started with some but now we just wing it.

Anyone else?  They sell this in the supermarkets in MN, but it's pretty expensive.

20171210_104730.thumb.jpg.f144a335e8166b0c106731799b48d555.jpg

My wife's hands kneading the "dough"  Sticks for flipping, and tongs w/ paper towel to remove the burnt flour.

20171210_104820.thumb.jpg.bfbd3953c8de5b907c38a82390d0f2eb.jpg

Now rolling, first with normal roller, then with special roller.

20171210_110434.thumb.jpg.e3d91b7ad45b4411061ef5d540eee34b.jpg

The stack!

Edited by Raamo
not flower... (log)
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Raamo said:

So I'm 7/8 Swedish, and grew up around a lot of American Scandinavians (most came over mid 1800s).  So one thing I had fond memories of growing up was Lefse.

Anyway a long time ago now - my wife and I decided we'd make lefse, got the griddle at a Swedish store in a small town in MN, the sticks and rolling pin too.

So a few times a winter we cook up the potatoes (since we got the steam oven we just fill the plan and let that do the work), rice them, add butter and milk/cream.  And the next day she kneads the potatoes with flower, rolls them out and I cook them on the griddle.

We don't really have a recipe - started with some but now we just wing it.

Anyone else?  They sell this in the supermarkets in MN, but it's pretty expensive.

20171210_104730.thumb.jpg.f144a335e8166b0c106731799b48d555.jpg

My wife's hands kneading the "dough"  Sticks for flipping, and tongs w/ paper towel to remove the burnt flour.

20171210_104820.thumb.jpg.bfbd3953c8de5b907c38a82390d0f2eb.jpg

Now rolling, first with normal roller, then with special roller.

20171210_110434.thumb.jpg.e3d91b7ad45b4411061ef5d540eee34b.jpg

The stack!

What kind of flower do you use? 

I feel like my family recipe has an egg in it, but I don’t have it handy to check.

They’re pretty fiddly to make because the dough is generally not what one might call well-behaved. It can be sticky, and is also delicate and prone to tearing, and it should be rolled out quite thin. Our family experience is some people seem to just have the knack and others not so much, regardless of cooking experience.

That said, you don’t NEED a fancy rolling pin or griddle or lefse flipping stick, so it’s pretty easy to experiment if you want to give it a try.

9 hours ago, FeChef said:

Oh flour, i thought you meant flower since you mentioned it was expensive to buy. I cant imagine mashed potatoes and flour being expensive. 

I think it's just lots of time to make in small batches - so the price goes up.

The only time I've had lefse I HATED was when it was made with instant potatoes - don't EVER do that.

• Like 1