• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
chocolate crème
100g of millet groats
200g of dark chocolate
1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
250ml of almond milk
fruit mousse
250g of fresh cranberries
juice and peel of one orange
half a teaspoon of grated ginger
4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

DSC_0325aa.jpg

DSC_0331aa.jpg

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By Tropicalsenior
      Char Siu (Chinese Barbecued Pork)

This is the traditional Chinese Barbecued pork that used to be served as an appetizer in every Chinese restaurant. The best cut of meat for this is something with plenty of fat or marbling. Do not use pork loin. It lacks both the moisture and the flavor that a fattier meat will provide.

3 pounds pork shoulder, or butt
      2 cloves garlic, mashed 
      2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
      2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
      2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
      2 tablespoons ketchup
      2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
      1 tablespoon honey or molasses
      2 teaspoons sugar
      1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
      a few drops red food coloring, optional

Cut the pork into strips approximately 2 inches wide and 5 inches long. Whisk together the rice wine or sherry, hoisin sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, liquid honey, sugar, mashed garlic, ginger and five-spice powder. If using the red food coloring, add it now. 
      Place the pork and the marinade in a zip-top bag. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator, for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days, the longer the better.
      Remove the pork from the bag. Reserve the marinade.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Fill a shallow roasting pan with 1/2 inch of water and place the pork on a rack above the water. Roast until brown, turning and brushing 2 or 3 times with the reserved marinade  for about 45 minutes. The internal temperature of the pork should be 155 to 160 degrees F.  Do not overcook or it will be dry.
      Note: Do not leave out the alcohol. If you don't have the rice wine or sherry you can use rum or brandy. It seems to make a big difference in the penetration of the marinade.
      Any extra marinade can be boiled and stored in the refrigerator up to a month or in the freezer to be used the next time
       I like to serve this in 1/4 inch slices with ketchup, Chinese hot mustard and sesame seeds. To make Chinese hot mustard, just mix dry, ground mustard with water to make a paste.
      Or use the in following recipe to make  Char Siu Bao.

if you don't have any Chinese five-spice powder you can easily make it with the following recipe. It is an essential flavor in this recipe.

Five-Spice  Powder 
      1  tsp.  ground  star-anise  (3  whole  star  anise) 
      1  tsp.  ground  fennel  seeds  (3/4  tsp.  whole  fennel  seeds) 
      1  tsp.  ground  Szechuan  or  white  pepper (1  tsp.  whole  Szechwan  or  white  peppercorns)
      1/2  tsp.  ground  cassia  or  cinnamon
      1/2  tsp.  ground  cloves  
      Grind to a fine power in a spice grinder or mortar
    • By shain
      Updated June 2020 to match my current formula.

Ingrdients
      Seeds:
      20g sesame seeds 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (5g) 15g poppy seeds 30g flax seeds 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (5g) 30g sunflower seeds Porridge:
      130g oat bran (or wheat bran) and/or corn meal 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 540g water Dough:
      130 g cold water 3g fresh yeast / 1.5 g dry yeast 670g strong bread flour 17g Salt 30g dark malt syrup 5g apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar (1 tsp)  
      Preparation
      One to three days before baking:
      Dry roast the seeds sesame, poppy and coriander. Add flax and caraway. Lightly mince in a morter and pestle to release flavors. Toast the sunflower seeds and add to the rest. ~ Cook the bran (and cornmeal) with the water, covered over low flame, until cooked into a porridge. Cool completely. ~ Add cold water, yeast, cinnamon, flour, salt, malt and vinegar. In a mixer, knead/mix for 5-7 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Repeat kneading and resting about 4 times, until the dough is strong well developed. Cover and refrigerate overnight (and up to 3 nights).  
      Prepare for baking:
      Grease the bottom of a 24 cm wide pot with a thin layer of oil. If the pot does not have an anti-stick coating, sprinkle with a thin layer of semolina or cornmeal. ~ Remove the dough from the refrigerator between 60 minutes (on a warm day) and two hours (on a cool day) before the baking. (It is better to err in the direction of a shorter proof). Gently separate the dough from the sides of the bowl and give it a roughly round shape. Pour the dough into the oiled pot and gently press it to fill the pot evenly. Cover the pot and allow the dough to rise until it almost doubles its volume and looks soft and airy (the time approximation is as mentioned above). ~ At least 45 minutes before baking, place an iron plate or baking stone on a shelf in the bottom third of the oven and heat it to 230 degrees C. ~ After the dough has risen and the oven is hot: Optionally, sprinkle the dough with sunflower seeds, poppy and flax for decoration. Score the dough if desired. Spray some water on the dough, sides of pot and lid. Bake covered for about 40 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the bread is very brown and the internal temperature is at least 97 degrees C. Remove the pot from the oven and remove the bread from it (wait a little for it to cool). Allow to cool on a cooling rack for one hour before slicing. ~ For serving, return the bread to the oven for about 10 minutes (this is not mandatory, but will yield a crisper, less chewy crust, and a warm loaf).  

2020's bake: