• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glass, Metal, Melamine - What Do You Prefer In Your Kitchen

Porthos

4 hours ago, Cronker said:

Andiesenji - in your second photo, the little brown/yellow glass bowl?  Who is that by?  

The third photo- the sauce pots with detachable handles, that's Corning Ware right? (Highly desirable if so)

and in the fourth photo, the green bowls - who are they?  Interesting.

look, I make a wage, I despise people who take advantage of trendy cookware for profit.  I'm just generally interested in how things sell.  It's like my earlier post about Fire King peach lustre - I remember drinking cordial out of the cup as a very young kid. Now it has collectors going nuts.

for complete transparency- I have no room in my kitchen for any more "wants".

The little ribbed amber bowl is Federal - 1930s - I used to have the entire set, I think they were lost in the '71 earthquake.  Yes, the sauce pots are Corning, "Blue Cornflower" .

The green bowls "jadeite" is the color, are Fire King. as are the blue "delphite" "splash proof" bowls and the Tulip bowls.  The others in the back, on either side are Pyrex.

I have a lot of the peach luster.  I bought it back in the '70s and '80s when no one wanted it.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, Cronker said:

In fact, the one in the background with the glass handles is also interesting. Rarely see those.

All those double boilers are from the 1930s - have the "blue" tinted glass and they all have glass handles.  

The small one is fairly rare because most were the larger size.  I've used all of them - I used to use them to make fruit curds, lemon, orange, strawberry and passion fruit, all at the same time. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 12/8/2017 at 8:13 PM, andiesenji said:

I have some Pyrex pie plates that were 25 years old when I was born.  Other Pyrex, Fire King and others that were made about the time I was born and a lot of bowls from the 40s, '50s, '60s and '70s. 

5a2b61713d627_ScreenShot2017-12-08at7_37_05PM.thumb.png.07c55b6d4158880e163db3170fb5634a.png

If anyone looked at my blog (while all the photos were up) you could see my large collection of bowls.  

My little bowls for mise

5a2b613f42bf8_ScreenShot2017-12-08at7_38_17PM.thumb.png.145c105bdd6495f84ec067598d06d629.png

The best sauce pots ever made - I have the detachable handles.

5a2b615086c88_ScreenShot2017-12-08at7_37_43PM.thumb.png.9479b09694ef60b140935630f1c9c38d.png

I have "favorites" - loaf pans I use for baking quick breads, meatloaf,  patés, etc.  

I have a bunch of Pyrex, Anchor Hocking measurers from 1 cup to 2 1/2 quart.

I have my old Bauer pottery bowls from the 1920s.  

I do have stainless steel bowls in all sizes, including one that is big enough to hold 40 pounds of cooked wild boar.  They are shaped perfectly for using balloon whisks.  

I store stuff in the fridge in glass with silicone tops.  

I think it is is personal preference.  If you want to see some people that are FANATIC about Pyrex, take a look at the FB group (closed) Pyrex Passion.  There are other Pyrex collecting groups but that is the most active.  There are members who moved to a different home to have more room for their collection.  

I like certain bowls for certain contents.  Potato salad always goes in my big Yellow Primary Pyrex bowl and has done since I got it in 1961.

5a2b611ab17f6_ScreenShot2017-12-08at7_51_05PM.thumb.png.3e9977cb45dc07eb3179c59d88d87365.png

Gurkensalat always goes into the dark green Bauer bowl.  It tastes better in that bowl.

I mix my cream biscuits in my 2 1/2 quart Anchor Hocking Measuring batter bowl.  The curved sides and bottom just fit the curve of my Danish Dough Whist so mixing biscuit/scone dough is much easier and quicker.  

5a2b6102ac996_CherrysconesinAHmixer.png.d601b5afc9ec7d1fc1c8ff17f0d5a2d3.png

I still have a couple of those detachable-handle Fire Kings I inherited.  They make great dog bowls.

I find this topic fascinating.  I'm in love with old cookware.  It's sometimes depressing to see lovely old pieces that have not been looked after.

im lusting after that Fire King "jadeite", perhaps I could find a little space for some in my bulging cupboard.

we recently had donated a ton of peach lustre Fire King, but it clearly had been through a dishwasher many, many times.  Heartbreaking.

its fascinating what people donate.  I had a vintage Murano glass bowl donated about a year back, and told the shop owners that it was worth about $1000.

• Like 1

I was washing dishes at my mom's house after a family dinner and accidentally dropped a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup into the sink. It broke, of course.

My mom said that she got that cup as a wedding gift in 1955. DOH!

I felt very bad about breaking it and found an exact duplicate on eBay which is now in her kitchen cupboard at home.  I was amazed at the prices the cups were selling for. 

My mom also has a full set of the blue corn flower Corningware and probably has no idea that they're worth so much these days.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver