• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My experience with cocoa butter (cacao butter)

tralfaz

I assumed that the cocoa butter used in candy making is different than the cacao butter sold in health food stores.

Here's my story.  I've been playing around with a white chocolate butter ganache for a friend and decided to try to cut the sweetness by substituting some cocoa butter for a small portion of the white chocolate.  I picked up some organic cold pressed cacao butter at the local store thinking it couldn't be too different from the cocoa butter used.    The original tiny test batch was 150 g white chocolate, and 60 g. butter,  the second batch was 100 g wh. choc. with  35 g. cocoa butter and 75g. of butter.

Anyway, that small amount of non-deoderized cocoa butter completely overwhelmed the flavoring I used.  It tasted nice,  It tasted like actual chocolate, although it's a slightly funky chocolate flavor.    Anyway, back to the drawing board.  Although I might think about trying this in the future as a flavoring.

Lesson learned.