• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food after Dental Work

MetsFan5

I pulled a crown off couple of months ago eating red Swedish fish. It was loose, apparently. I have prominent tori (those bony parts which stick into the recessed area under the tongue) and although my dentist is a woman with fairly small hands, I often wind up swollen and bruised (visible on the outside) after having any crown repairs. I'm also resistant to Novicaine (as is my Dad) so I get a LOT of shots, which doesn't help the bruising issue. The only thing I eat after is yogurt, anything too liquid tends to dribble out of my mouth.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

I pulled a crown off couple of months ago eating red Swedish fish. It was loose, apparently. I have prominent tori (those bony parts which stick into the recessed area under the tongue) and although my dentist is a woman with fairly small hands, I often wind up swollen and bruised (visible on the outside) after having any crown repairs. I'm also resistant to Novicaine (as is my Dad) so I get a LOT of shots, which doesn't help the bruising issue. The only thing I eat after is yogurt, anything too liquid tends to dribble out of my mouth.

If yogurt works, one thing you might consider is getting something packaged in tubes, and throwing them in the freezer. That way you get the yogurt but also the cold. The two brands of yogurt in tubes that we like best are Stonyfield Farms and Siggi's.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I am also someone difficult to numb - my dentist jokes that he goes to lunch after numbing me and I'm finally done when he gets back.  Takes forever to wear off, too.  I got lucky - when I called this morning my crown had come in and they had an opening on Wednesday.  I have the crown repair on one side and a couple of fillings on the other, so my entire mouth, lips, cheeks, etc. will be numb.  I hope no one needs to talk with me that entire day. 😁

• Sad 4

I've had many crowns. Only one permanent one failed. I get whatever the common local anaesthetic is (I believe it is more often lidocaine now and not novocaine), like most of us do for the first part of the crown work and it takes me a while to get numb as well. But you might try to find out why there is swelling and bruising; that doesn't seem right.

As for those Swedish fish, well my dentist used to do a hilarious thing to remove the temporary crown. The patient bit down hard on one of those adorable confectionary jujubes, then snapped open his or her jaw. Worked like a charm. She doesn't do that any more, but I haven't asked why. Maybe the idea of using candy as a normal dental tool struck some people as weird.

• Haha 4

Oh dear. Today’s visit wasn’t too bad but I will need some type of gum surgery in the near future that will require sutures and a 10 DAY RECOVERY. Maybe I’ll lose a solid 10lbs? I’m thinking mashed potatoes and pudding. Softly scrambled eggs and chicken broth. For 10 (likely more I am a huge wimp) freaking days. 

• Sad 6

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Oh dear. Today’s visit wasn’t too bad but I will need some type of gum surgery in the near future that will require sutures and a 10 DAY RECOVERY. Maybe I’ll lose a solid 10lbs? I’m thinking mashed potatoes and pudding. Softly scrambled eggs and chicken broth. For 10 (likely more I am a huge wimp) freaking days. 

Bummer. My condolences.

My mom's had a couple of those (getting a bone graft in her lower jaw, to support the new dentures, then having the implants put in once she'd healed) and they sucked rocks. She mostly survived on pudding and yogurt.

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I went to my dentist today for a temporary crown. Due to the tooth being a lower six year molar, he had to use a nerve blocker to prevent any discomfort. He told me that I should not eat anything until the numbing wore off, but I could drink anything I wanted. I bought two bottles of wine on the way home!

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

• 2 months later...

So I refused to have gum surgery with actual surgery. So it will be done with lasers on Monday. Part one of two. 
   I don’t anticipate it being horrific and I’m more concerned about the atheistic since we leave to go to my inlaws on Friday.
    I’ve been eating everything I know I won’t be able to like bagels and burgers. After Monday I’ll need to eat mush.  

• Sad 2

Food for dental work: besides the usual suspects, like ice cream and fruit shakes and mashed potatoes, I like blended green soups. A good chicken broth, lots of spinach, leeks, sorrel, whatever, and a potato or two to thicken all blended up to make it slurpable or drinkable. For when you know you should be getting more fiber and vitamins.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday’s surgery has me in a considerable amount of pain but I do have prescription painkillers. So far I was able to eat some eggplant parm (in vodka sauce to cut the acidity) and Italian ice and rice.  Hopefully each day brings considerable recovery because I’m traveling across the country Friday. 

@Shelby I hope you’re on the mend too! 

• Sad 3

• 8 months later...

Five weeks into a dental-issue-induced liquid (or at least very-small-solids) diet, we're nearly out of ideas.  We've had to up our soup and food-styling games quite a bit, turning normally chunky soups into smooth purees without allowing them to look like pond scum. These are dinner soups, since that's our one shared meal of the day. Consequently, they incorporate a protein (usually an animal protein, as there are no tofu fans in the house), veg and usually a carb  Most often, breakfast is yogurt with mashed fruit, and lunch is soup left over from the previous night. Here's what we've had:

Creamy poblano soup

Shrimp bisque

Black bean soup

Leek and potato soup

Garlic soup with poached eggs, bacon and spinach

Curry shrimp and rice soup

Avgolemono

Corn soup with red-pepper puree

White bean soup with tomato and pesto

Broccoli-cheese soup

Sweet potato soup (kind of a jerk thing)

Creamy mushroom soup (using mushroom stock from Modernist Cuisine)

Smoked salmon chowder (adapted from Sara Moulton, unless it was Martha Stewart)

Mexican corn and rice soup

Cheesy onion soup with (the same) red pepper puree

Spinach-artichoke soup

Pinto bean soup

Carrot soup with chive oil

Beer cheese soup

Three problems have arisen. The first is that the texture of these soups doesn't vary much from one the the other.  Given the reason for making the soups in the first place, there's not much to be done about this. The second problem is that making soups (at least of this type) gets boring: simmer ingredients until soft, then blend with prejudice. Maybe stir in cream. Serve. The third is, as you will figure out when you count the recipes, that, even with some stretching, that's not quite three weeks' worth of soups, and we'got at least three more weeks of this diet to go.

Any ideas for expanding our repertoire? Soups we haven't tried, or other dishes with really small bits? Last night, for example, we had quiche, with very finely minced ham and long-simmered onions (the dog loved the non-mushable bits of crust).  Soups that don't cause the cooks that are making them to fall asleep? 

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Over in the dinner thread I posted my soup to get me through my recent periodontal procedure.  It's lentil-carrot-oatmeal made in the instant pot:

1/2 pound of dried lentils, I like the brown ones

1 cup oatmeal (the oat meal is in here to create a complete protein with the lentils)

1 pound of carrots, sliced to about 3/8" thickness

32 ozs chicken stock

3 cups or so of water (may need to add more if the soup is too thick for you)

1 tsp soy sauce

1-2 tsp lemon juice

salt to taste

pepper, onion and garlic powder, bay leaf, all to taste, cumin if you want it more of an Indian bent

1 tbs olive oil to prevent foaming

Everything goes in the IP for 10 minutes, then natural release

Could be made on the stove top, leave out the oil in that case.  You could sub rice for the oatmeal but it's forbidden by my periodontist.

lentil-soup5.jpg.7d637c56f631c85ed71c5469bba27c2c.jpg

Today I made egg salad and will be having that with the soup.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Cacik - I make it in the blender. Borscht - well cooked beets I make it in the blender with add in of sour cream or kefir or both.  Could always grate a beet and hold it back for texture. 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Luckily I have not had this issue but my over the top easy smooth and delicious is pumpkin from the can heated with spices of your choice and some dairy or coconut milk stirred in. Satisfying. Hang in there,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Cacik - I make it in the blender. Borscht - well cooked beets I make it in the blender with add in of sour cream or kefir or both.  Could always grate a beet and hold it back for texture. 

Is cacik the same as tzakziki?    ☺️

eGullet member #80.

We had a close friend who, as oral cancer survivor, couldn't handle food that needed to be chewed or that was difficult to swallow.   After exhausting the kinds of bowls that you have suggested, they hit upon "just blend it!"      Make a stew or pot roast or pasta or rice dish.    Just think flavor.    Serve as is to those who can enjoy it that way, and throw a hefty portion in the blender, perhaps with added appropriate liquid.    This feeds the entire family and provides new flavor profiles to the one with issues.  

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Can you eat something like Indian dal, mushy lentils? Palak paneer?

I can, and will, eat lentils. However, my partner, who is the one with dental issues, only likes them when prepared with short ribs, a la @Fat Guy. Paneer is tough to come by in our part of the suburbs, but we could make it, or sub queso fresco, or -- my suggestion --- potatoes, as what my partner really digs is the curried spinach, rather than the cheese. 

5 hours ago, mgaretz said:

It's lentil-carrot-oatmeal made in the instant pot:

If we can get past the lentil issue, then we have to pass the Oatmeal Rubicon (good band name, btw). But I think this is worth a try, actually.

5 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Gazpacho (deseeded tomatoes) with bits of soft avocado.

Deseeding is smart. We've actually gone back and forth on gazpacho. I don't like it; she does. My problem is that it's not really a meal, even with the avocado. Can I get a dispensation for a few seared (shredded for her) scallops on the side?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Borscht - well cooked beets I make it in the blender with add in of sour cream or kefir or both.  Could always grate a beet and hold it back for texture. 

There was a time when I hated beets, and this would have been a non-starter. But I've come around on them (sorry, @Toliver), so maybe.

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is cacik the same as tzakziki?

I think they're pretty close. If we're right, it's an interesting thought for a garnish.

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Serve as is to those who can enjoy it that way, and throw a hefty portion in the blender, perhaps with added appropriate liquid.   

Maybe others can do this, but we can't. It's probably nutritious, and might be tasty in a way, but please see above (". . . turning normally chunky soups into smooth purees without allowing them to look like pond scum"). Six years ago, I spent two weeks in the hospital. For the first week, thanks to a "joke" I made that didn't land AT ALL, I was on a puree-only diet. The food was so unappealing that I lost fifteen pounds that week (which of course put everybody into a new tizzy). We're not going to do this, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is cacik the same as tzakziki?    ☺️

I call it cacik when it's a soup, and tzatziki when it's more of a dip or a sauce? But maybe it's just an interpretation thing; cacik is Turkish, and tzatziki is Greek?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I feel your pain on the dental work. During my own saga with it this summer, I have found shredded chicken is a game-changer. It's gone in pot pies, soups, assorted casseroles. I've eaten several casseroles of squash and onion, stewed soft in butter then blended with cracker crumbs, cheese and eggs and baked; one could add chicken to that, or have in another preparation on the side. I've been able to handle ground beef; meatballs, meat ragu over pasta, meatloaf. The crumbly texture may not work for your partner's dental issues. A cheese and veggie lasagna might be workable; a risotto with, again, shredded chicken or some kind of chopped seafood. In fact, most seafood is flaky and soft enough I would be able to handle it; YMMV. Good old fashioned tuna salad, with eggs, is nice and soft, as well. I've also been relying on fruit and cottage cheese.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

If we can get past the lentil issue, then we have to pass the Oatmeal Rubicon (good band name, btw). But I think this is worth a try, actually.

You can directly sub split peas. My wife is currently off them but lentils are fine. Not that she’s eating any of this. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs