• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food after Dental Work

MetsFan5

I apologize if this is a topic-- I did search and couldn't find one that exists. 

I am cursed with weak teeth and often have uncomfortable dental procedures and/ or oral surgery. 

Tonight my mouth was numb for hours and I was exhausted from anxiety and nitrious that I made a box of Betty Crocker's Scallop Potatoes. 

I didn't want soup in case the numb half of my mouth didn't allow for consumption without a bib of some sort. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with the need to eat after an uncomfortable dentist appointment. What do you all eat? I've found slowly nibbling on a grilled cheese to work, mashed potatoes of course are easy but sometimes you want protein so scrambled eggs are the only thing I can think of. 

Suggestions are welcome as I had a temporary cap put on and will have the permanent one to deal with in two weeks. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

If you're in pain, a fruit smoothie or milkshake can help with icing the area. Both options offer protein from various milk sources and/or nuts.

Personally, I like the big fat rice noodles my local Korean market sells in individual packets. I make them with just a little broth, and some overcooked vegetables. I grew up around people who overcooked vegetables pretty regularly, so, embarrassingly enough, soft vegetables remind me of childhood. Overcooked vegetables with a little butter or brown butter are my post-dental go-to. That said, I cannot tolerate overcooked pasta, but, if you can, a well-cooked riff on pasta primavera may be an option for you.

That said, I love applesauce. And, applesauce keeps in the fridge -so it can be made days in advance or your appointment, then eaten for several days afterwards.

Honestly, I'd make a few things and have them chilled or frozen and ready to re-heat rather than relying on actually cooking on the day of the appointment.

And, having a smooth ice cream (no mix-ins) or sorbet in the freezer is always useful. (if you like ice cream...)

When I had 9 teeth pulled to prepare for dentures, I found something at Arby's called loaded potato bites. They were tiny hash browns loaded with cheese and jalapeno. They're off the menu now sadly, but it's a good guide.

Hash browns are a good choice, and anything like salmon cakes. Between those two you can probably find or create enough variations to get through a few days.

• Like 1

Some time back, I mentioned on the dinner thread, that my friend J called me asking me to cook her dinner as she had just had dental treatment and was in considerable discomfort. I ended up making her shrimp and spaghetti which was slightly beyond al dente. She found that soft enough to eat.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

After numbness goes away!!

Try aleve or Tylenol for injection site or post muscle discomfort

Really avoid eating on your temporary, I say nothing sticky, crunchy  for sure.  If you can stay off that side , eat what you wish.  Pasta is good.

Remember Don't floss around your temporary and if it comes off try Vaseline,  or call the doc

Good luck

Bacino DDS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

I always found a baked sweet potato with butter a good go-to. 

Latkes, if you feel up to cooking.

Fish is generally soft enough, and will provide protein.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I apologize if this is a topic-- I did search and couldn't find one that exists. 

I am cursed with weak teeth and often have uncomfortable dental procedures and/ or oral surgery. 

Tonight my mouth was numb for hours and I was exhausted from anxiety and nitrious that I made a box of Betty Crocker's Scallop Potatoes. 

I didn't want soup in case the numb half of my mouth didn't allow for consumption without a bib of some sort. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with the need to eat after an uncomfortable dentist appointment. What do you all eat? I've found slowly nibbling on a grilled cheese to work, mashed potatoes of course are easy but sometimes you want protein so scrambled eggs are the only thing I can think of. 

Suggestions are welcome as I had a temporary cap put on and will have the permanent one to deal with in two weeks. 

Hoping you have a speedy recovery, dental pain is not the least pleasant.

• Like 1

I imagine risotto would work well, as it's soft but not not liquid. You could add minced or ground meat to get some protein. You could then use the leftovers to make pan-fried risotto cakes. 

• Like 1

When I had my wisdom teeth extracted, everything I ate went into the blender first. Lasagna, enchiladas, whatever.

It eventually got tiresome because I missed the texture you feel in your mouth when eating. Blender food is mono-textured.

Quite boring...but it got me through the healing period.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

When I had my wisdom teeth extracted, everything I ate went into the blender first. Lasagna, enchiladas, whatever.

It eventually got tiresome because I missed the texture you feel in your mouth when eating. Blender food is mono-textured.

Quite boring...but it got me through the healing period.

I make it through most dental issues with some good Scotch...no chewing required. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@MetsFan5 ohhhhh how I can relate.  I had MAJOR dental surgery done 7 years ago.  I used balanced supplements and greek yoghurt with fruit purees, soups like split pea and butternut.   Applesauce, mashed sweet or white potatoes, well cooked green beans, miso soup all worked well.   My favorite though brought me back to my childhood Beech - nut used to make this fruit thing with tapioca.  When Johnnybird had a major infection and came close his Thanksgiving dinner went into the blender.

Hang in there

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I make it through most dental issues with some good Scotch...no chewing required. 

Twenty years ago, I had a raging toothache and went to what I was told was China's best dental hospital, in Xi'an. They gave me an anaesthetic which was apparently fake,  as it had as much effect as a glass of water. Then they proceeded to extract my tooth with a hammer and chisel!

The most traumatic event in my long life.

I got through the post-stress-disorder and general agony by the judicious use of my native land's finest product. Single malt whisky, which a friend happened to have brought me from Scotland. Luckily my friend isn't mean and brought me two bottles!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Twenty years ago, I had a raging toothache and went to what I was told was China's best dental hospital, in Xi'an. They gave me an anaesthetic which was apparently fake,  as it had as much effect as a glass of water. Then they proceeded to extract my tooth with a hammer and chisel!

The most traumatic event in my long life.

I got through the post-stress-disorder and general agony by the judicious use of my native land's finest product. Single malt whisky, which a friend happened to have brought me from Scotland. Luckily my friend isn't mean and brought me two bottles!

Oh my god. That is literally my worst nightmare. I'm so sorry. 

Thanks for all the ideas! Fortunately this time it's just a temporary crown (and in two weeks it will be a permanent one so I will use these ideas again). 

After having my my wisdom teeth out-  all four and they were all impacted about 15 years ago-- I lost 15lbs I did NOT need to lose. Now I'm wishing I had a couple let go have removed to lose weight! 

• Like 1

After dental work,  I always craved my special dinner. It might sound unappetizing.  I craved mashed potatoes and creamed corn. Mixed together. Something if feeling ambitious, I sauteed an onion and crumbled turkey burger. Mixed that in. It tasted delicious, or at least to me.

• Like 2

On 08/12/2017 at 5:23 AM, MetsFan5 said:

MetsFan I'm Dental Surgeon in Brazil. I am periodontist and studied oral and maxilofacial surgery in Japan. 
In the first 24 hours after the surgery prefer cold and paste or soft food. Like yogurt, ice creams,  gelatin. Avoid chew int the surgery side. Cold compress in the face and cold food will avoid to increasing face edema and pain in first 24hours.

After 24 hours the cold compress and food have a opposite effect. It will cause the edema that exists longer decreasing. After 24 hours soups, risotos and warm and hot paste food will help you. In the first days.
After 2-3 days you can eat on the opposite side most of the food, avoid cruch and hard food.

In most cases in one week you will can eat without restricitions.

Edited by Auro (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Learning

If you had teeth pulled - whatever you do, don't use a straw right afterwards. The oral surgeon warned him....but my son - at the wise old age of 20- did not listen.  He just had 4 or 5 teeth pulled, and then went an bought a huge chocolate shake, sucked it down, and seized the opportunity to eat a burger (since his mouth was still numb). Ended up with a dry socket - (occurs when the blood clot becomes unclotted), got infected and was in unbelievable pain. Had to get antibiotics, and have that section of his gums cleaned and medicated.  He is one of those people that has to learn those kinds of lessons himself. 

As for meals, I was thinking tuna-noodle casserole, if you over cook the noodles just a little. You'd get protein, noodles- (which are awesome), and some creamy- cheese sort of deliciousness to help comfort you from the ordeal.   And, homemade mac-n-cheese is always a hit.  Now, if you want something non-casserole like- , then broiled fish , cooked spinach, and potato latkes might be a good option.  Just use lots of butter. Butter makes it better. :D And wine. Wash it all down with a nice bottle of wine.   You'll feel great! 

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

I’m sorry to be reviving this topic again. 

I have the *worst* oral luck. Ok maybe not the worst but it’s pretty bad. I’ve had two sets of braces and a handful of root canals plus a abscessed tooth that required an ora surgeon to remove it, then put a screw in my jaw and then the implant. 

🙄 all of that to say, I’m getting my gums scaled tomorrow and I’m terrified as usual. I really should have made a lasagna today because I could gum it room temp but I didn’t. 

And plus, it’s *hot* here. I love and have gazpacho on hand but worry that the acid will make my soon to be even more sore gums worse. 

So I guess I can fall back on the newly labeled “soy sauce” top ramen or maybe a lightly grilled cheese on soft white bread? 

Any other suggestions? What’s worked for you in the past? I know better than to use straws or to wear anything very cold or hot. I wish my dentist could give me a wine IV along with Novocain and nitrous!  

• Like 1

Scaling isn’t as bad as the other stuff they might do.  I’d imagine pastas would be tolerable. And wine. 

If you have gum issues you might consider periostat, an anti inflammatory that improves periodontal dz without surgery. 

I wish you could come to our dental team.     This sounds just awful!

Do you have either a blender or emersion blender?      Boil up some veg and milk/cream and make a lukewarm savory smoothy.     One of my favorite "no chew" dishes is scallop soup.    Barely cook a couple of scallops, add onion or whatever, milk/cream and toss in blender.    Ambroisia.      Same with salmon/potatoes/dill.      These are all things I've served a friend who had a surgically removed palate and had trouble swallowing,     Good stuff.    You can toss just about anything in the blender and come out with something nutritious and flavorful...maybe not steak.    But that will come later.    Good luck.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:55 AM, Anna N said:

By far the most helpful of all the advice here.......ice in it (if you must) but for the first day put the Scotch in the freezer for a few hours. It will go thick like a liqueur and you can drink lots...you will need more Scotch though (must have for the pantry anyhow...)

• Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Tooth scaling is not bad.  I’ve had it done once a year for about the last 5 years.  Had no problem eating afterwards.  But I have 5 implants, more crowns than I can remember and oral surgery to make room for the implants.  Plus fillings, root canals, etc.   Root scaling is the least painful.  It just seems to last a long time, but my hygienist is full of stories so it goes by rather quickly.

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Scaling isn’t as bad as the other stuff they might do.  I’d imagine pastas would be tolerable. And wine. 

If you have gum issues you might consider periostat, an anti inflammatory that improves periodontal dz without surgery. 

What type of anti inflammatory? I want to go in asking as many questions as possible. 

@Margaret Pilgrim if your dental team is in the SF bay area I could definitely visit twice annually. I do see my dentist 4 times a year. I am diligent about that and had a very traumatic experience with my pediatric dentist. I just have shit luck and I grind my jaw, you name it I’ve done it. 

I don’t like scotch; I actually avoid liquors. I may have to make an exception and mix some vodka with V8 or La Croix. 

I can get by easily on very little food (although I’m eating nachos right now because... I still can!) so even bouillon cubes in mugs can make a decent dinner for me. 

It’s not just the scaling, it’s the novacain that goes with it plus holding my child sized jaw open for over an hour that makes food difficult. 

I have a hand blender that works well but probably won’t have the energy to be in the kitchen. Maybe I’ll get a Panera bread bowl delivered depending on what soup they have tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes! 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2