• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thin and super-crispy chocolate chip cookies (like Otterbein's)

chappie

There is a Baltimore-based company called Otterbein's that sells regionally (in distinct red-and-white checkered bags) a handful of varieties of thin, super-crunchy cookies. Their chocolate chip recipe is probably the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had -- slightly salty, not too sweet, and the chips have a slightly different taste than most. How do I make something like this at home? If I can't replicate it perfectly, what in general are methods that will help me hone in on a thin, crunchy cookie like this? Several "crispy" CCC recipes I've encountered produce just mildly crunchy edges, with the same over-cakey centers. That's not what I'm after. I want crunch through and through, and thin.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had these cookies and tried to replicate them at home?

I don't know those cookies, but are they anything like Tate's? I think they make a good thin and crisp chocolate chip cookie. I like thin, crisp cookies of any kind. Alton Brown had a Good Eats episode on CCCs, a link is below. He talked about The Thin, The Chewy, and The Puffy and what makes each one the way it is. I've never tried his thin CCC recipe, I tend to not make CCCs because I am always so disappointed. Although with other cookies, I've discovered that baker's ammonia goes a long way towards thin and crisp. I never thought of trying it with a chocolate chip cookie, but maybe I'll give it a go.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/episodes/three-chips-for-sister-marsha2

• Like 1

I've seen Alton's thin recipe and the reviews make it sound like there's still a little bit of chew to it. I'll try them, though ... but I'm not sure it's on the level of Otterbein's in terms of crunch. I haven't heard of Tate's but I'll keep an eye out.

I just looked at their website and I see that their CCCs contain both butter and margarine. I'm sure that has something to do with the thinness and crispiness of the cookies. I've never used margarine in a CCC.

I also noticed that their lemon cookies and their sugar cookies contain baker's ammonia. Aren't they clever? :)

47 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

I just looked at their website and I see that their CCCs contain both butter and margarine. I'm sure that has something to do with the thinness and crispiness of the cookies. I've never used margarine in a CCC.

I also noticed that their lemon cookies and their sugar cookies contain baker's ammonia. Aren't they clever? :)

Yes, the more fat in a cookie, the more it will spread out. Google Irish Lace cookies.

I've also never tried baker's ammonia but eGullet member @Franci used it in her recipe video (click) for "Rame di Napoli - Copper of Naples" cookies. She also stated that it adds a crispness to the cookie and though the smell may be off-putting when they bake, it disappears completely once the cookie is baked.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I do the TollHouse recipe on the bag and scimp a bit flour and go generous slightly on sugar I always get super super crisp and thin - just snuck one out of the Chritmas stash in freezr :)

• Like 1

I can't remember the recipe I used, but I had some leftover Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough that I used in a truffle (no eggs and heat treated flour) that I threw in the oven to see what would happen. They baked up incredibly thin and lacey. They were perfectly flat except where the chocolate chips were