• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another New Member

tralfaz

Hi, I'm a new member although I have lurked here for years.   I've worked in restaurants and cafes for years, cooking and serving.   I'm interested in new food experiences and I'm a home chocolate hobbyist.

• Like 1

Welcome from the lurkers' shadows!  What sorts of restaurants and cafes have you cooked and served at?  Any favorite cuisines?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, tralfaz said:

Hi, I'm a new member although I have lurked here for years.   I've worked in restaurants and cafes for years, cooking and serving.   I'm interested in new food experiences and I'm a home chocolate hobbyist.

Where are you located? Are you coming to the chocolate workshop?

@Smithy

Right now I'm mostly interested in southeast asian,  Korean through Malaysian.  I live in a small tourist town on the water.  I've worked in semi "healthy" restaurants, breakfast, pizza.  Nothing very exciting.  I've done a little cheese mongering too.

I've been doing hand dipped chocs at home for years, always willing to try any new thing.  i have to check out the boutique chocolatiers wherever I go.   I made my first butter ganache yesterday and now I'm experimenting with whipping  it.

@Kerry Beal

I'm located near Seattle, just read about the workshop.  I do have some vacation time I need to use.  Let me think.  But tell me,  how did the tobacco and port turn out?

Edited by tralfaz (log)

8 hours ago, tralfaz said:

@Smithy

Right now I'm mostly interested in southeast asian,  Korean through Malaysian.  I live in a small tourist town on the water.  I've worked in semi "healthy" restaurants, breakfast, pizza.  Nothing very exciting.  I've done a little cheese mongering too.

I've been doing hand dipped chocs at home for years, always willing to try any new thing.  i have to check out the boutique chocolatiers wherever I go.   I made my first butter ganache yesterday and now I'm experimenting with whipping  it.

@Kerry Beal

I'm located near Seattle, just read about the workshop.  I do have some vacation time I need to use.  Let me think.  But tell me,  how did the tobacco and port turn out?

Port part a bit sweeter than I would like - but otherwise kind of perfect!

Just now, tralfaz said:

@Kerry Beal

I just glimpsed at your food blog.  Manitoulin Isand, huh?  40+ years ago I went to a family reunion on some tiny island somewhere near  Parry Sound.

You are probably related to someone I know! 

I know a few people who have islands near Parry Sound - one is actually a little bigger - the 'largest, single family owned island on Georgian Bay'.

I should also mention here I have a perverse interested in the fine line between sweet and savory chocolate.   Along the lines of  chocolate hors d'oeuvres.  Thai green curry/coconut/white chocolate .  Mexican Mole truffles.  Including onion and garlic.  So far nobody  has liked these but me.  But I also like regular chocolately things too.

27 minutes ago, tralfaz said:

Uh, does it have a huge, 2 story "cabin" with a fireplace big enough to stand inside?

Several smaller cabins - don't recall a fireplace that big on their island. 

7 minutes ago, tralfaz said:

I should also mention here I have a perverse interested in the fine line between sweet and savory chocolate.   Along the lines of  chocolate hors d'oeuvres.  Thai green curry/coconut/white chocolate .  Mexican Mole truffles.  Including onion and garlic.  So far nobody  has liked these but me.  But I also like regular chocolately things too.

You'll fit in well with the gang at the workshop.

I don't chime in on these welcomes as often as I should but when somebody comes in with a user name that makes that obscure a reference, I pretty much have to. So howdy... and J.P. Gottrockets is still looking for you. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.