• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Top Chef" Season 15

Toliver

I was surprised to see that season 15 is starting tonight. It starts at 10 P.M. and is an hour and 15 minutes long (info for those of you who record the show).

Whoever is in charge of Bravo promos should be fired as I haven't seen any promos regarding this new season of the show.

From the Bravo web site, it looks like this season starts in Colorado. Here's a link to an "Introduction to Season 15" video: click

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks! I had no idea!

Yes. Exactly. Who knew?

Tim Oliver

I am always amazed at the amount of pomposity and puffed-up bravado displayed by the contestants.

Then a simple error in the kitchen takes them down. "Uhm, your potato chip was burnt."

And there's their personal takes on fusion cuisines..."No one else is cooking this way!" ("Well, perhaps there's a reason why...")...it's all becoming irritating.

Can they even do any of the classics? Give me a simple pot roast and save the spin on it for the next customer. 

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

" ‘Top Chef’ cuts John Besh from episode after sexual harassment allegations"

It's a link to a Washington Post article...sorry if you hit a paywall when you click on the link.

Celebrity chef John Besh has been edited out of an episode of “Top Chef” set to air in January because of sexual harassment allegations against him, a Bravo network spokeswoman told The Washington Post late Tuesday. Besh had served as guest judge on the program for years....

...Tom Colicchio, lead judge on “Top Chef,” told Eater that the network “worked really hard” to edit Besh out of the episode. “Bravo to Bravo for making this decision,” Colicchio said. “. . . It’s great that they spent the time and did the right thing.”

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Spoilers!

Ok, I was a bit disappointed in the main challenge. Potatoes, at least certain preparations can be challenging to make if you have to re-heat them. I think it was a bit unfair to just give a couple of hours the day before and then a very brief amount of time on the day of the event. IMO, no wonder the stew tasted warmed over, it was. (scorching it did not help, but, it was the re-heating which was a real negative for the potatoes)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 8:45 PM, gfweb said:

I recall a couple years ago when most couldn't cook an omelet.  Puck showed them and made a pretty ratty looking thing himself

And, Marcel won a quickfire on one of the special one-off shows by making an omelet.

On episode 3, I was surprised again at how many contestants (well 4) didn't really have a grasp of this culinary school basic. I worked as a breakfast cook for about a year and at one point could make two at once, one in each hand. Oh, and I laugh at the 15 minute timer on this one. Five minutes should have been more than enough. -And, you don't need the non-stick pans. HERE's an unedited, real-time video of Julia Child making a French omelet in a plain steel pan. Anyone attempting to go on a cooking competition show should practice this.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Still watching when I'm in town.  Not having previous shows on leading up to the current one has been inconvenient

You can watch them on line at the food Network.  Also Last Chance Kitchen is there.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

You can watch them on line at the food Network.  Also Last Chance Kitchen is there.

I've been catching missed episodes on Bravo, I didn't realize they were on the Food Network, too.  

I've been watching since the beginning and following along with the recaps here

My most and least favorite challenges have been Quickfires.  I really liked the one where the chefs had to recreate one of the most complicated dishes on their own restaurant menus in less than 30 minutes.  

My least favorite was the kids' menu challenge where they're supposed to elevate a children's menu item into something sophisticated and healthy.  That part of the challenge by itself was great but forcing the chefs to use tiny pots, pans and utensils was silly.  I was glad that wasn't a sudden-death quickfire.

I'm cheering for Carrie.  Not sure she has what it takes to win but I love her attitude.  She had the good sense to choose a coherent team for Restaurant Wars and I loved her in the camping challenge.  I like Chris, too, and would like to see more of his cooking.

I love Brother Luck's name but he did seem a bit shady for hiding the plastic wrap from Tu in Last Chance Kitchen.  He's still doing well there so maybe he'll be back. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
fix missing prepositions (log)

Still watching. I felt badly for Lee Anne Wong. I used to get bad altitude sickness when I lived in Santa Fe (which is higher altitude than Denver) and tried to visit the ski basin (10,000+ feet altitude) I would get very sick. Only tried it a couple of times because I'd simply black out.

I thought is was odd that no one on the Conifer team in RW used pine nuts. IMO, they would have been a nice addition to the gnudie dish.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight one of the judges told the contestants that things take longer to deep fry at 18,000 ft.

Sounds like baloney. Oil temp is oil temp at any altitude...right?  Oil doesn't boil in frying so air pressure shouldn't matter.

Likewise, sous vide at high altitude should be the same times and temp as sea level.

Your thoughts?

Edited by gfweb (log)

I'd never really thought about deep frying, because I don't do it myself, but I found this:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/about/high-altitude-adjustment-for-deep-fat-frying-964

Sous vide is cooking at a specific temp, so altitude might affect how quickly that temp is reached but not how long it cooks otherwise. 

Water boils at a lower temp at higher altitudes. I cook eggs a bit longer here in Tucson than I do back at sea level in BC. But I hadn't really thought about oil temps before. 

Edited to add: I should say I BOIL eggs a bit longer here. Other cooking methods may not change the same way. 

Edited by FauxPas
to clarify boiling is not the same as other egg cooking methods. (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I'd never really thought about deep frying, because I don't do it myself, but I found this:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/about/high-altitude-adjustment-for-deep-fat-frying-964

Sous vide is cooking at a specific temp, so altitude might affect how quickly that temp is reached but not how long it cooks otherwise. 

Water boils at a lower temp at higher altitudes. I cook eggs a bit longer here in Tucson than I do back at sea level in BC. But I hadn't really thought about oil temps before. 

Edited to add: I should say I BOIL eggs a bit longer here. Other cooking methods may not change the same way. 

Huh.

i can't see why that would be. The oil wouldn't be less dense at altitude. 

Confused....