• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

On 12/8/2017 at 8:45 PM, gfweb said:

I recall a couple years ago when most couldn't cook an omelet.  Puck showed them and made a pretty ratty looking thing himself

And, Marcel won a quickfire on one of the special one-off shows by making an omelet.

On episode 3, I was surprised again at how many contestants (well 4) didn't really have a grasp of this culinary school basic. I worked as a breakfast cook for about a year and at one point could make two at once, one in each hand. Oh, and I laugh at the 15 minute timer on this one. Five minutes should have been more than enough. -And, you don't need the non-stick pans. HERE's an unedited, real-time video of Julia Child making a French omelet in a plain steel pan. Anyone attempting to go on a cooking competition show should practice this.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

On 12/8/2017 at 8:45 PM, gfweb said:

I recall a couple years ago when most couldn't cook an omelet.  Puck showed them and made a pretty ratty looking thing himself

And, Marcel won a quickfire on one of the special one-off shows by making an omelet.

On episode 3, I was surprised again at how many contestants (well 4) didn't really have a grasp of this culinary school basic. I worked as a breakfast cook for about a year and at one point could make two at once, one in each hand. Oh, and I laugh at the 15 minute timer on this one. Five minutes should have been more than enough. -And, you don't need the non-stick pans. HERE's an unedited, real-time video of Julia Child making a French omelet in a plain steel pan. Anyone attempting to go on a cooking competition show should practice this.