• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Bread: Sablée Brioche

Dave the Cook

1 hour ago, Smokeydoke said:

I'm thinking the osmotolerant yeast is a must.

I don’t think so. If you use ordinary instant yeast and increase the amount by 25% you should be good. Both @Chris Hennes and I did this before we were able to source the isotolerant yeast. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's the final loaf, did not get a nice rise like the Modernist photo, but my crumb was nice and soft. Flavor was good. I could've cooked a bit longer but the top was browning too much. I recommend 10 mins at 400, then 25 mins at 350.

It's a good snacking bread, it reminds me of a rich, cakey, sweet cornbread. I can't wait to top it with ham and Mornay sauce for dinner tonight.

Sidenote: I'm not too sure about the instructions as written, I don't think 14 hours in a cold fridge would've proofed my dough. Maybe my fridge is too cold? I've made brioche before and the hardest thing is to get them to proof (at least with this method). Next time I'll try the traditional method, where you slowly add the butter and see which I like better.

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

• Like 2

@Smokeydoke I found the traditional method delivered better results. Certainly my mum thought it was the best bread I have made (so far!).

I cubed the butter (and I deviated slightly by using 250g butter rather than 225) and added it in 5 stages with the sugar; it took about 30 minutes in total. I then left it to rest overnight in the garage (it was cold in there) before the final prove and bake.

• Like 2