• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

aperture

aperture

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

If you had read the thread I linked to, you would have seen posts by MaxH outlining how difficult it is to get oil at or above temperature under regular atmospheric pressure. This is why acidulation then pressure frying are recommended.

There is only one scientifically proven method for home cooks to make a safe garlic oil. HERE is a link to a page run by Clemson University's extension service. (a place where real science happens, not a suzie-hommemaker clickbait website)

Ah, didn't read pages 2 or 3 there. So oven or stove sans pressure can't produce guaranteed safe garlic oil. I wasn't aware of this 250F issue with unpressurized food.

It's interesting, the incidence of botulism cases from garlic oil appears to be vanishingly low relative to the number of people engaging in scientifically unsafe practices. I don't doubt the science behind the temperature/acid guidelines, but the picture appears incomplete. Shouldn't we see more cases?

It's not like vanilla food safety where lax practices may result in a few more conventional illnesses a year or something -- I don't think there's a "mild" case of botulism. So the low case count is strange to me.

aperture

aperture

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

If you had read the thread I linked to, you would have seen posts by MaxH outlining how difficult it is to get oil at or above temperature under regular atmospheric pressure. This is why acidulation then pressure frying are recommended.

There is only one scientifically proven method for home cooks to make a safe garlic oil. HERE is a link to a page run by Clemson University's extension service. (a place where real science happens, not a suzie-hommemaker clickbait website)

Ah, didn't read pages 2 or 3 there. So oven or stove sans pressure can't produce guaranteed safe garlic oil. I wasn't aware of this 250F issue with unpressurized food.

It's interesting, the incidence of botulism cases from garlic oil appears to be vanishingly low relative to the number of people engaging in scientifically unsafe practices. I don't doubt the science behind the temperature/acid guidelines, but the picture appears incomplete. Shouldn't we see more cases?