• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Apple Corer/Slicer?

boilsover

OK, so I'm usually the one in my house requesting and choosing cookware and utensils, but this year my wife has requested one of the ubiquitous push-down combination apple corers/slicers.  I've attached a photo of a Winco model just so y'all can see the genus.

Considering our ages and the plethora of unitaskers we already have, I'm loathe to get one at all.  But DW has been extremely indulgent with my cookware buys, so she can have whatever she wants.  The problem is:  she doesn't know which one she wants.  I'd rather buy the best-in-class.

Who has what, and what do you consider best?  Thanks!

Apple Tool.jpg

It looks like they pretty much all have 4½ stars on Amazon, so I'd go with whatever color she'd like, if she indeed has a preference. Otherwise, just buy whichever is the easiest to get. Me, I'd probably opt for the Calphalon or the Oxo.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have several. These are two I use.  The yellow handle one is heavy and the blades are well past the rim so it cuts cleanly. Made by Wilton.

The black one is adjustable and has a cap for the blades, made by AMCO.   Can be set for 8 or 16 segments.  The segments vary just a bit in width but unless you are really picky, it is not a problem.  

The core cutter in the yellow one is smaller so occasionally there will need to be some cleanup of some seed case left in the slices. I just spread them out on the cutting board and use a measuring spoon with a round end. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.15.35 AM.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a twenty-slice model that has a base on a hing which allows for easier pushing when you're almost done -it gets the base through the cutter faster. I prefer thinner slices, with the wider type of cutter, I always wound up cutting the slices smaller and often found it was easier to just use a knife  from the start rather than bother with it at all.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I have a twenty-slice model that has a base on a hing which allows for easier pushing when you're almost done -it gets the base through the cutter faster. I prefer thinner slices, with the wider type of cutter, I always wound up cutting the slices smaller and often found it was easier to just use a knife  from the start rather than bother with it at all.

I rarely use these because I like flat apple slices, especially with the large apples I like (Envy apples are back)

I cut them in half, core them, lay them cut side down and make parallel horizontal cuts the thickness I want.  

If cooking them, they cook evenly and unlike wedges don't get mushy at the thin edge while staying too firm at the thick side.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, boilsover said:

I think you misunderstood me.  She wants a corer/slicer, not a peeler.  I already have one of the mechanical peelers.  Thanks.

The device I indicated cores and slices, as well as peels.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wow, I had no idea.  How does your machine core and slice?  I thought all these types were peelers or spiralizers.

Does it slice radially like the exemplar I showed?

[Edit] Nevermind, I watched the video.  My wife wants the wedge-type slices.  But this is a versatile machine you have!  Thanks.

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 10:19 AM, andiesenji said:

I have several. These are two I use.  The yellow handle one is heavy and the blades are well past the rim so it cuts cleanly. Made by Wilton.

The black one is adjustable and has a cap for the blades, made by AMCO.   Can be set for 8 or 16 segments.  The segments vary just a bit in width but unless you are really picky, it is not a problem.  

The core cutter in the yellow one is smaller so occasionally there will need to be some cleanup of some seed case left in the slices. I just spread them out on the cutting board and use a measuring spoon with a round end. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.15.35 AM.png

Thanks, andie.  I bought an all-metal 8-segment Amco model today.  It also has a blade guard.  Oddly, the coring aspect is octagonal, rather than round.  Surprisingly heavy. 

Re: flat slices, I saw a lighter-weight one of this type that cuts flat slices, i.e., the blades aren't radial.  If you're interested, I'll try to get you brand and model info.

[Edit]  Here's the flat one I saw.  I may get her that one, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+slicer&client=tablet-android-hms-tmobile-us-noonebox&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcy5CmsvnXAhUL8WMKHWasBfMQ_AUIEigC&biw=600&bih=1024#imgrc=uaKKmtk0moJxjM:

Apple Portioner.jpg

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 2