• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sieve. How does one clean it.

Doofa

I am currently using one or two of my sieve's. As I have done for years, however I have never found a way to quickly clean them PIA. I have no jet wash just a hot tap ( pretty primitive here although I have masses of equipment ) 

Can the Eg family help out with odd tips and methods.

Currently I am dipping a conventionally done chicken stock, against an instapot chicken stock for a side by side.

Thank you one and all, I love this place. D

A few things I do when I need mine clean now and can't wait for the dishwasher:

• Make sure to clean it promptly, dried stuff is impossible to get out
  • Fill the sink with hot, soapy water and vigorously swish it back and forth, then rotate X° and do it again (X depends on the size of the sieve)
  • Use a bristled brush to scrub it
  • Hit it vigorously against the counter to dislodge any extra junk
  • Like 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

A few things I do when I need mine clean now and can't wait for the dishwasher:

• Make sure to clean it promptly, dried stuff is impossible to get out
  • Fill the sink with hot, soapy water and vigorously swish it back and forth, then rotate X° and do it again (X depends on the size of the sieve)
  • Use a bristled brush to scrub it
  • Hit it vigorously against the counter to dislodge any extra junk

All +1.  May I add:

--Flush/brush from the outside first.  Clearing the crap by forcing it back out is easier than pushing it though.

--Bang it hard several times on a protected edge over the sink.

--If the mesh allows, push the ends of a fine bristled brush through the mesh (again, outside-in)

--If it's all-SS or SS-Exoglass, hit it with oven cleaner or Carbon Off.

--If you have access to a garage-type air compressor and blow tip...

• Like 6

Counter-intuitive as it may seem, I always start with cold water (pretty much for the same reasons you use cold water to run a garbage disposal) so that I don't cause starches and/or proteins to cook, swell and attach themselves firmly onto the surface. I do a hot rinse once it appears to be clean.

I agree with the brush on the outside pushing stuff backwards, I have a nail brush and a toothbrush I use for various strainers, chinois', etc.

• Like 3