• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Breadmachine recipes

Kim Shook

I am thinking of making loaves of bread for Christmas gifts this year.  I'm interested in recipes using bread flour, dried fruits, warm spices (cinnamon, cloves, etc.) - that kind of thing.  I'd like it to freeze well.  And I want to make 1 pound loaves.

If anyone has a recipe to recommend, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks so much!!!

My Zojirushi bread machine booklet has a recipe for100% whole wheat fruit bread that includes Allspice and chopped dried fruit.  I have a recipe for Spiced Pumpkin bread with cinnamon, allspice and canned pumpkin.  I have a recipe for Alsatian Apricot Spice Bread I got from the Bread Machine Baking Perfect Every Time book by Lora Brody & Millie Apter which has Gewurztraminer, vanilla, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and Dried apricots.  These are all yeast breads.

Edited by Isabelle Prescott (log)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Isabelle Prescott said:

My Zojirushi bread machine booklet has a recipe for100% whole wheat fruit bread that includes Allspice and chopped dried fruit.  I have a recipe for Spiced Pumpkin bread with cinnamon, allspice and canned pumpkin.  I have a recipe for Alsatian Apricot Spice Bread I got from the Bread Machine Baking Perfect Every Time book by Lora Brody & Millie Apter which has Gewurztraminer, vanilla, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and Dried apricots.  These are all yeast breads.

Would it be possible to share the recipe forthe Alsatian Apricot Spice Bread recipe with me.  I don't have that book and neither does my library!  

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I am thinking of making loaves of bread for Christmas gifts this year.  I'm interested in recipes using bread flour, dried fruits, warm spices (cinnamon, cloves, etc.) - that kind of thing.  I'd like it to freeze well.  And I want to make 1 pound loaves.

If anyone has a recipe to recommend, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks so much!!!

Have you checked out the recipes at KAF.com?  They have lots that are easily adapted to bread machines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Would it be possible to share the recipe forthe Alsatian Apricot Spice Bread recipe with me.  I don't have that book and neither does my library!  

Yes.  I'm not sure if I can put it up here since it is from a book.  How do I get your email so I can scan the recipe and attached it to an email.  The recipe is adapted for 7 different bread machines... DAK/WELBILT, HITACHI/REGAL, PANASONIC/NATIONAL, ZOJIRUSHI, MAXIM/SANYO, SMALL WELBILT AND SMALL PANASONIC/NATIONAL.

I'm a long-time member of Bread-Bakers  mailing list  and there are numerous recipes for bread machine breads of every type and variety.

Doing a simple search gives me this List of  digests with recipes.

And the #2  has Bread Machine Alpine bread with instructions for bread machine and regular mixers.

I have made #7  French Bread with Apples and walnuts and very good it is. 

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I'm a long-time member of Bread-Bakers  mailing list  and there are numerous recipes for bread machine breads of every type and variety.

Doing a simple search gives me this List of  digests with recipes.

And the #2  has Bread Machine Alpine bread with instructions for bread machine and regular mixers.

I have made #7  French Bread with Apples and walnuts and very good it is. 

Wow!  That is a treasure trove, Andie!  I've bookmarked it to look through.  Thank you!

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Wow!  That is a treasure trove, Andie!  I've bookmarked it to look through.  Thank you!

Reggie and Jeffrey Dwork have maintained this since 1990 - it was a mailing list before the internet. And she is a great teacher.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The recipes that @Isabelle Prescott sent me specify machines  - DAK, Hitachi, Welbilt and Zojirushi.  The directions are basically the same.  I have a Toastmaster - does anyone see any issue with this?  Also - all of the recipes call for 1 or 2 teaspoons of "gluten" as an ingredient.  I have no idea what this means.  

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Also - all of the recipes call for 1 or 2 teaspoons of "gluten" as an ingredient.  I have no idea what this means.  

That would be gluten flour, aka "vital wheat gluten." Turns your AP flour into the equivalent of bread flour. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Adding gluten will let the loaf rise higher.  Whole wheat bread does not rise as high as white bread unless you put in additional gluten due to the bran and wheat germ in the flour.  Also, bread that does not have enough gluten will be crumbly when you slice it..  

Edited by Isabelle Prescott (log)
  • Like 1

I've relied for many years on "Rustic European Breads from Your Bread Machine," by Linda West Eckhardt and Diana Collingwood Butts (1995). Most of the recipes use the bread machine to mix and knead the bread and then you take it out to form it as you want. Wonderful recipes of all types, including an extensive chapter on sweet and holiday breads. There's a spiffy recipe for rye bread that I like very much. I'll bet you can find the book on Amazon.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro
clarity (log)
  • Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I appreciate all the advice and have bookmarked the sites recommended and reserved some books at the library.  I intend to tackle that Apricot Spice bread that @Isabelle Prescott recommended after the holidays when I have more time.  I tried out a recipe that a friend recommended called Holiday Bread.  It is very simple, with candied fruit and walnuts.  I made it a few days ago and froze it.  Thawed this morning and it came out great.  It is wonderful toasted and I'm sure would make great French toast.  I'm making one-pound loaves.  Loaf:

DSCN7706.JPG.7867febbc2fb2abe1d0f9cb8eb19cbe2.JPG

Slice:

DSCN7707.JPG.93a4b497b7dd6a853098394753d56cf8.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to making the brioche recipe in the bread machine.  The bread rose a bit too much as you can see by the white spot which did not brown as it was up against the lid.  Just had a piece- very tasty.

20180107_152259.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Finally got around to making the brioche recipe in the bread machine.  The bread rose a bit too much as you can see by the white spot which did not brown as it was up against the lid.  Just had a price- very tasty.

Lost track of this thread.  Now I am next to try Kim Shook's recipe for Brioche.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I tried Kim's recipe yesterday on my BM, but had to dump everything into my KA instead as there was a problem with the paddle on the pan. Mixed for 15 min, rested 50min, punched down, shaped and into loaf pan for another 50 min rise. Baked at bottom of 450 oven for 30 min before lowering to 375. Lotsa rise and it was delish when I had it for breakfast this morning.

20180109_172742[1].jpg

• Like 6