• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

8 hours ago, SLB said:

For a decade, my basic mild olive oil, not for dressing or finishing, was Fairway Market's blend.  I'd buy the 3-liter cans, and be very happy.

Well.  Something Has Happened. 

I bought a can last week that was so bitter I thought it might be rancid.  I tried to give it peppery -- I've had Sicilian oils that pack some serious bite.  But no.  Ultimately I decided it was just bitter, after trying to cook with it (I know this is idiotic, to try to cook the bitter out of oil . . . but WHO HAS TIME TO LUG OLIVE OIL BACK TO THE STORE???).   

Sigh.  I found the time, complained to the store, and exchanged it for a new can.

Unfortunately , it's giving the same bitter.  I mean, this stuff is nasty.  I sent a detailed email back to the store manager, and will be taking it back for a refund.

So now I need a recommendation a decently priced genuinely mild-flavored olive oil that I can get in larger volumes.  I know the oils I like for finishing, and don't have any interest in purchasing them in large quantities.  I'm hoping to short-cut the ole' trial and error method, sigh. 

You guys got any recs?  

I buy the 3 liter cans of Bertolli oil. But not the extra virgin - just the regular for a mild oil for everyday use.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

7 minutes ago, SLB said:

For a decade, my basic mild olive oil, not for dressing or finishing, was Fairway Market's blend.  I'd buy the 3-liter cans, and be very happy.

Well.  Something Has Happened. 

I bought a can last week that was so bitter I thought it might be rancid.  I tried to give it peppery -- I've had Sicilian oils that pack some serious bite.  But no.  Ultimately I decided it was just bitter, after trying to cook with it (I know this is idiotic, to try to cook the bitter out of oil . . . but WHO HAS TIME TO LUG OLIVE OIL BACK TO THE STORE???).   

Sigh.  I found the time, complained to the store, and exchanged it for a new can.

Unfortunately , it's giving the same bitter.  I mean, this stuff is nasty.  I sent a detailed email back to the store manager, and will be taking it back for a refund.

So now I need a recommendation a decently priced genuinely mild-flavored olive oil that I can get in larger volumes.  I know the oils I like for finishing, and don't have any interest in purchasing them in large quantities.  I'm hoping to short-cut the ole' trial and error method, sigh. 

You guys got any recs?  

I buy the 3 liter cans of Bertolli oil.