• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Random "culinary" souvenirs from the US

Duvel

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

One tiny request more: since I have been know to drink the occasional alcoholic beverage - what would make a nice liquor to bring home ?

There are several types that are "classic" American. Rye, certainly, as Mitch wrote. Bourbon, too. We're currently enamored of Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year, but there are *so* many to choose from. At a reasonable price point and probably not hard to find, there's also Evan Williams Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 Year, and Elijah Craig 12 Year.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Don't know if hauling home cheese is possible but these two represent my state well.  Both have won numerous  awards.  Prairie Breeze from the Milton Creamery and Maytag Blue from Newton do us proud in Iowa.

I finally made it home. Of course I had to depart on the only day it snowed in Baton Rouge, and everything was cancelled or delayed. Despite all attempts of American airlines to prevent me to get home I managed to get rerouted through Dallas and LA and made it home after a 28h journey with only half a day overall lost ...

Thanks again for all you suggestions. Here are the spoils of war, curtesy of Amazon prime and Walmart 24h :) (so no farmers market produce or artisanal cheeses):

WP_20171210_08_43_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_08_44_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_08_48_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_08_49_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_08_50_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_08_54_48_Pro.jpg

• Like 10

It seems that a home-made package combining junk food and a copy of Modernist Bread is highly suspicious to the folks at Homeland Security. Especially when carefully packed in cardboard and nicely secured with layers of packing tape. I initially thought it was the hot sauces that ticked the officer in charge off, but it turned out that MB was the culprit (note to @Modernist Cuisine Team: I noted there are still some gaps between the wrapped book and the outer cardboard layer - please put some chocolate mints for officer on duty in there for international customers). On the positive side, they re-wrapped it more or less well and I can start to enjoy the read once I have overcome the 14h time difference ...

WP_20171210_07_24_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_09_12_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20171210_09_18_58_Pro.jpg

• Like 13