• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What temp is plastic wrap toxic for cooking?

torolover

I have read about frying herbs using oil and plastic wrap in the microwave.  I'm concerned about the plastic wrap being toxic at high temps.

What temp is plastic wrap toxic?

I often cook white rice in the rice cooker and when it's done, I immediately put the hot rice in plastic wrap and wrap it up tightly.  Is this OK?  Internal temp must be  at least 212 from the steam.

The plastic wrap I use is Costo Kirkland Stretch-tite brand.

Thanks for the input!

I don't know the actual answer, but I can tell you that when cooking ribs, after a couple of hours in the smoker is not uncommon for people to wrap them in plastic wrap (and then foil) before putting them back in smoker that is set to at least 225 or 250.  This includes competition teams who are very unlikely to do anything that might reduce their chances of winning.

I am sure it varies from brand to brand, but according to the Glad FAQ:

Do Glad® products contain BPA or phthalates?

No. All Glad food protection products do not contain any phthalates or polycarbonate, nor is Bisphenol A (BPA) used as a raw material in their production.

With that said, it also says to leave 1" between the food and the plastic in the microwave.  While ribs in a smoker are going to be a uniform temperature, I am sure that is not the case in a microwave.  I've had plastic sag onto meat and melt into it - not good.