• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

forgot an s

On 11/29/2017 at 5:11 PM, Cronker said:

Could you please give me some advice on freezing mashed potatoes?  Does it work or would microwaving them make them watery or separate from the butter and cream?

I have never had luck with freezing potatoes. I know that some frozen potato applications, like potatoes o-Brien or some hashbrowns are simply raw potatoes with oils and other stuff sprayed on them. I have had someone serve me frozen vegetable medley (from a bag sold at a supermarket) which contained tiny potato cubes and they were horrible. I avoid freezing potatoes in general.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

On 11/29/2017 at 5:11 PM, Cronker said:

Could you please give me some advice on freezing mashed potatoes?  Does it work or would microwaving them make them watery or separate from the butter and cream?

I have never had luck with freezing potatoes. I know that some frozen potato applications, like potatoes o-Brien or some hashbrowns are simply raw potatoes with oils and other stuff sprayed on them. I have had someone serve me frozen vegetable medley (from a bag old at a supermarket) which contained tiny potato cubes and they were horrible. I avoid freezing potatoes in general.