• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rob1234

rob1234

After eating at Alinea we watched the chefs making these balloons. It seemed to take multiple tries before they made one that didn't pop or fail. It looked pretty difficult.

rob1234

rob1234

After eating at Alinea we watched the chef's making these balloons. It seemed to take multiple tries before they made one that didn't pop or fail. It looked pretty difficult.

• Similar Content

• By jmacnaughtan
      Hi,

This is a slightly odd question, and I think this is probably the right place for it.

As I mentioned previously, I'm hosting a failed selfie exhibition and will be doing food and drink to match. One thing that I thought would be fun to do, however, was encase a functioning telephone in a set jelly/jell-O and have people call it.  It would be set on vibrate, obviously

Anyway, this is not something I've done before, and the logistics are a bit interesting:

- How can I stop the jelly destroying the electronics? Would a phone survive being vac-sealed?
      - Which proportion of gelatin to water do I need for structural stability, but maximum wobble?
      - Would a larger jelly wobble more satisfyingly?
      - Is a phone's vibrate setting even strong enough to wobble jelly?
      - Fully transparent or coloured?

I don't intend to serve this as food, so food safety and flavour are not an issue.

All suggestions welcome.
    • By Okanagancook
      I was reminded the other day of the egg-in-plastic-wrap-poach method.

• By pastrygirl
      Anyone have a favorite recipe for chocolate cake using semisweet chocolate?  My usual chocolate cake recipe uses cocoa, but I have some samples of chocolate I want to use up for a workplace party.  Yes, I could make brownies or ganache frosting, or chocolate mousse or chocolate chunk cookies, just feeling like cake this weekend ...
    • By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 

Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.
    • By MSRadell
      GE is entering the SV field in an innovative way. They are doing a crowdfunding approach through one of their Innovation technology centers. The device itself is also innovative in that it uses a Inductive cooktop for the heating element with a wireless temperature sensor. It's also unique in that it does not include any type of water circulation.

Here's a link to the crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop/

What does everybody think about this entry into the field? If nothing else it certainly shows that SV has gotten the attention of major appliance makers. A few weeks ago GE also announced that one of their new lines of stoves will have the same type of temperature control as this device uses so you can do SV on your stovetop.