• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes for nutrition or protein bars THAT AREN’T SWEET?

Miss Mick

I’ve given up trying to find nutrition or protein bars that are NOT sweet—99% of them are just glorified friggin’ candy bars. I don’t mean “maybe a little sweet”—I don’t want ANY sweetness or sweeteners of any kind. Why is it so hard to find a protein/nutrition bar for grownups? Manufacturers make all kinds of savory snack crap like potato chips; why don’t they think we’d like that in actual healthy snacks?

Unless anyone one knows of any available in the U.S., I’m now trying to find recipes for same. I fantasize about bars that have Asian, Italian, or Indian spices and exotic flavors. Vegetarian; otherwise I know a lot of paleophiles will suggest variations on meat jerky. ;-D

• Like 1

Theyve attempted to make em several times over the years and they end up failing cause in ppls hearts they buy the sweet bars to feel good about eating candy, so I guess savory bars dont give em that naughty thrill.

Kind made a few savory bars, there is a cricket flour one, a lotof ppl use beef jerky as a "bar".

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

1 hour ago, Miss Mick said:

I’ve given up trying to find nutrition or protein bars that are NOT sweet—99% of them are just glorified friggin’ candy bars. I don’t mean “maybe a little sweet”—I don’t want ANY sweetness or sweeteners of any kind. Why is it so hard to find a protein/nutrition bar for grownups? Manufacturers make all kinds of savory snack crap like potato chips; why don’t they think we’d like that in actual healthy snacks?

Unless anyone one knows of any available in the U.S., I’m now trying to find recipes for same. I fantasize about bars that have Asian, Italian, or Indian spices and exotic flavors. Vegetarian; otherwise I know a lot of paleophiles will suggest variations on meat jerky. ;-D

Kind makes a few bars that come close to qualifying, but there's still some sugar or honey (Dark Chocolate Chili Almond, Chipotle Honey Mustard, Almond Coconut Cashew Chai). YouBar used to offer custom-made bars to individuals, but unfortunately they're now handling just commercial accounts. You might want to get on their mailing list, in case they decide to do the retail thing again.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

One issue is that so many of these adult-targeted bars are variants on good ole' trail mix -- i.e. easy-to-digest foods that can be consumed in the midst of strenuous physical activity.  So even the "protein" ones are pretty carb-y, and when you don't have much of an actual appetite, for some reason it's easier to get down the sweeter carbs. 

I hate the dominance of the super-sweet (and find even Kind's protein bars to be intolerably sweet), but there aren't a lot out there with no sweet in them at all.  The least sweet one I've come across so far in a store are by "Epic".   

Epic is meaty, though, meaning relatively difficult to digest.  Fine in a casual snack bar, but this can cause all kinds of complications as an exercise snack. 

Anyway, I have several recipes for DIY bars, and this is the least sweet one:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1897931/best-energy-bar-ever

It is not exactly delicious.  One might reasonably be afraid that it's going to be revolting.  But it's ok.  Also -- it is very, very effective.  And it's a lot less sweet than any edible commercial bar I've tried.  You could pull out the raisins and the cashews (which to me are sweet).  

There's a cookbook cited in there you could try.  Do report back.    

• Like 1

Do you need a bar? A goodly percentage of the ingredients in a bar are only in there to help it keep the bar shape. If you're just looking for a snack, I'd go back and look at things like nuts with flavored salt.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 2

I searched for a very long time for something like this, tried the Kind bars and some other "savory" options. I just never found what I really wanted. In a perfect world, there would be a bar that tasted like bacon and eggs. Yes, I know I could make a sandwich of some sort, or little quiches, but those would need refrigeration/re-heating if I wanted to take them with me for travel.

For the present time, I've just given up on the bar/recipe search. I eat a few crackers and a handful of nuts or something like that. If I'm not going to be too long, I might make a little cheese sandwich to take along.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I eat roasted chickpeas or favas for high protein, savory snack. Biena is a brand of chickpeas with various flavorings available in my supermarket, they have small pouches for single serve.

Also dry roasted edamame (Seapoint Farms).

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I eat a pretty high protein diet and have trouble digesting too much fat and sugar together, so I have this problem as well, but have an easier time because I eat meat. Theoretically savory meat options like the Epic bars are too sweet for me, and Kind bars have too much nut fat. I've settled on biltong (like those paleophiles) because it's less sweet, less salty, and not as hard on my jaw as beef jerky.

Would you consider some sort of vegetarian product like Primal Strips? As far as I recall, some of those flavors were better than others (generally, and in terms of sweetness), and they're shelf-stable. Decent macros profile, if that's a concern; almost all of them have 10 or 11 grams of protein per serving, 2-3 grams fat, and 7-8 grams carbs.

• Like 1

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The problem is that you're looking for a bar. Apart from candy, is there any other food that you purchase in bar form?

This is what nuts are for. And cheese. And tinned fish. And pickles. And pork rinds. And jerky, if you can tolerate that sort of thing. And vegetables of your choosing with a yogurt or sour cream based dip. 

But nuts are ideal. Portable, nutrient dense, and easily flavored. Add whatever herbs or spices you want. Mix it up! Or just coat them with melted chocolate and shape them into a bar...

• Like 2

@Miss Mick Would you eat a seed bar with no syrup or added sugar other than some mashed banana? The banana is mixed with egg white to act as a binder and then baked, bars cut and cooled.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

11 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Butter.

Admittedly less practical as a gym snack, but it will give you the calories you need.

I will admit to snacking on some Kerrygold. And virgin coconut oil. It's almost always been when I was going through a paleo/keto phase, and it sounds much less weird in that context.

Trader Joe's sells virgin coconut oil in individual serving-sized packets. They're not a terrible thing to have in your bag for a quick energy boost on the go. Travels much better than butter. If you mix it into coffee, you'll look less like a weirdo than squeezing it straight from the tube into your gullet. 

• Like 2