• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

Apologies added

8 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I think there are also cues that can be used to help people notice warnings, when we’re talking about product packaging. The pictured packaging looks identical to something you’d find on a rack for snacking - I’d expect to see walnuts and pecans and almonds and so on in very similar packaging. If they’re intended to be consumed 1-2 a day as a supplement, like a vitamin, then packaging them like a supplement - bottle with a pseudo-pharmaceutical label and clear doseage information for example - gives fairly strong cues that you should perhaps read the info on the bottle, you know?

Yeah, right. For foodstuff ...

If I buy a product that I put in my mouth I think I should make the decision consciously. Meaning I know what I am buying and eating. If not, just leave it in the shelf. This "I did not know this is searingly hot / semitoxic / highly caloric" card is something that is very, very unsettling to me. If you eat it it is your responsibility to make sure you can digest it. Blaming the producer / vendor  / server is unique to a certain mindset (dare I say culture) and in most of this world certainly met with the same disbelief that I am trying to convey here ...

P.S.: This is not meant to offend anyone personally. I just feel very strong about this ...

Duvel

Duvel

8 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I think there are also cues that can be used to help people notice warnings, when we’re talking about product packaging. The pictured packaging looks identical to something you’d find on a rack for snacking - I’d expect to see walnuts and pecans and almonds and so on in very similar packaging. If they’re intended to be consumed 1-2 a day as a supplement, like a vitamin, then packaging them like a supplement - bottle with a pseudo-pharmaceutical label and clear doseage information for example - gives fairly strong cues that you should perhaps read the info on the bottle, you know?

Yeah, right. For foodstuff ...

If I buy a product that I put in my mouth I think I should make the decision consciously. Meaning I know what I am buying and eating. If not, just leave it in the shelf. This "I did not know this is searingly hot / semitoxic / highly caloric" card is something that is very, very unsettling to me. If you eat it it is your responsibility to make sure you can digest it. Blaming the producer / vendor  / server is unique to a certain mindset (dare I say culture) and in most of this world certainly met with the same disbelief that I am trying to convey here ...